Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, after two weeks of cycling and having normal water parameters I added to clownfish (drop method). They were swimming near a rock at the bottom of the tank yesterday. This morning they are swimming head up near a corner. Is this normal clown behaviour?

New to saltwater tanks. :(

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

GRichards

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming in the corner is normal. I had 2 Ocellaris that never did much more than that for over 2 years even with an anemone (bta) in the tank. I finally gave them away and replaced with tomatoes.
Would you recommend a BTA for my clowns? I've been reading but still unsure as to which anemone is the best.

Crashjack

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is new, I would wait on adding an anemone. Some folks put time tables on it (like wait 6 months, a year, etc.), but at least wait until you have kept other corals successfully for a few months. You also need to research anemones before adding. As far as a particular clown species forming a symbiotic relationship with a particular anemone, that depends. Specific clown species typically have one or more anemone species they will almost always enter if that anemone is added to the tank. Some clown species MIGHT enter a different anemone species (an anemone they wouldn't encounter in the wild), but it is very hit-or-miss.

OP
OP
G

GRichards

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is new, I would wait on adding an anemone. Some folks put time tables on it (like wait 6 months, a year, etc.), but at least wait until you have kept other corals successfully for a few months. You also need to research anemones before adding. As far as a particular clown species forming a symbiotic relationship with a particular anemone, that depends. Specific clown species typically have one or more anemone species they will almost always enter if that anemone is added to the tank. Some clown species MIGHT enter a different anemone species (an anemone they wouldn't encounter in the wild), but it is very hit-or-miss.
Side question, cleaner shrimp, I researched and a lot of people mention to drop acclimate them for 1+ hours, is my tank too new for cleaner shrimp?

sarcophytonIndy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend a BTA for my clowns? I've been reading but still unsure as to which anemone is the best.
Yes, ocellaris love BTAs

1589133346435.png

Crashjack

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question, cleaner shrimp, I researched and a lot of people mention to drop acclimate them for 1+ hours, is my tank too new for cleaner shrimp?

You can drip acclimate, since ammonia build-up isn't as big of deal as with fish. You can also see what the s.g. of the bag water is and if close to your display's s.g., do a faster acclimation or possibly none at all if s.g is right on. That said, you always need to temperature acclimate (e.g. float bags), no matter what.

My Ocellaris clowns had no interest in my bta, which is why I replaced them. However, many will form a symbiotic relationship with a bta in a tank, though it isn't normal in the wild.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

GRichards

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drip acclimate, since ammonia build-up isn't as big of deal as with fish. You can also see what the s.g. of the bag water is and if close to your display's s.g., do a faster acclimation or possibly none at all if s.g is right on. That said, you always need to temperature acclimate (e.g. float bags), no matter what.

My Ocellaris clowns had no interest in my bta, which is why I replaced them. However, many will form a symbiotic relationship with a bta in a tank, though it isn't normal in the wild.
Tysm!

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Webslinger

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, after two weeks of cycling and having normal water parameters I added to clownfish (drop method). They were swimming near a rock at the bottom of the tank yesterday. This morning they are swimming head up near a corner. Is this normal clown behaviour?

New to saltwater tanks. :(
I have a pair of clowns that sleep in one corner of my tank, typically head up or down. It’s just what they do sometimes.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back