Clownfish possibly sick

mikedees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all

I recently purchased a clownfish. I’ve noticed he has a white spot on his top fin behind his head. I’m not sure if this is his normal coloring or if he may be sick. I will attach a few pics. He is currently in a QT tank and I have treated him with GC, Melafix and pimafix. When I got him he was definitely under nourished and I’ve fattened him up and he’s doing much better. He will remain in quarantine but I’m not sure if I need to treat him with something else. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks IMG_9672.png IMG_9671.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello to all

I recently purchased a clownfish. I’ve noticed he has a white spot on his top fin behind his head. I’m not sure if this is his normal coloring or if he may be sick. I will attach a few pics. He is currently in a QT tank and I have treated him with GC, Melafix and pimafix. When I got him he was definitely under nourished and I’ve fattened him up and he’s doing much better. He will remain in quarantine but I’m not sure if I need to treat him with something else. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks IMG_9672.png IMG_9671.png
Pics are a bit fizzy but bottom clown appears to have a mucus coating over skin and loss of color and possible secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikedees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a bit fizzy but bottom clown appears to have a mucus coating over skin and loss of color and possible secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
Thank you for all the info. For the 60 min bath what would be amount to use? I saw that the tank treatment would be 1 ounce to 20 gallons.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you for all the info. For the 60 min bath what would be amount to use? I saw that the tank treatment would be 1 ounce to 20 gallons.
For bath - 1oz per 15 gals

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you supply clearer pics and maybe a video? A single larger white spot, in the absence of any other symptoms is more likely to be a minor injury.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikedees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you supply clearer pics and maybe a video? A single larger white spot, in the absence of any other symptoms is more likely to be a minor injury.
Hi Jay.

Thank you for your time!!

Attachments

• IMG_3964.mov
    33.8 MB
  • IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 74438465369__C07D9678-E74E-476D-BDC6-1546EC1505CB.jpeg
    74438465369__C07D9678-E74E-476D-BDC6-1546EC1505CB.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could download the video. Both clowns look pretty good to me. I think this is just some minor fin damage that should heal with no treatment - but watch for additional symptoms!

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it could also be lymphocystis - and would recommend no treatment unless it spreads/worsens - but demands close watching for worsening.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back