+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

need some help regarding one of my clownfish. The bigger clowns left eye is a little bit popped out as the other is fine. My other clownfish doesn’t have it.

i believe it was due to injury as my clowns have been trying to figure out who is switching sex. Bigger chases the other around and I’m guessing she ran into a rock or the smaller got ahold of her eye. Should I still treat with Melafix? It’s only been 3 days since I noticed it but positive it wasn’t there past the three days. Pics for reference.

F1FC248B-81C5-4377-BE63-94A5732B6BD4.png 46A529CD-94F8-4AFC-989C-258ECCE76C45.png

World Wide Corals

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time it's an injury. That heals with doing nothing - Is the fish otherwise having symptoms - did you QT with medications? I do not think there is a role to do melafix for a variety of reasons. If it seems worse - a hospital tank with broad spectrum antibiotics - such as Kanamycin or Neomycin or another would be in order . Very nice fish BTW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone,

need some help regarding one of my clownfish. The bigger clowns left eye is a little bit popped out as the other is fine. My other clownfish doesn’t have it.

i believe it was due to injury as my clowns have been trying to figure out who is switching sex. Bigger chases the other around and I’m guessing she ran into a rock or the smaller got ahold of her eye. Should I still treat with Melafix? It’s only been 3 days since I noticed it but positive it wasn’t there past the three days. Pics for reference.

View attachment 2942123 View attachment 2942124
This looks the result of a scratch or injury and will need to be treated with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for at least 5 days in a quarantine setting and provide additional oxygen with air stone during treatment
Melafix is ineffective in marine settings and considered a tonic as it’s compromised mainly of teak tree oil

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time it's an injury. That heals with doing nothing - Is the fish otherwise having symptoms - did you QT with medications? I do not think there is a role to do melafix for a variety of reasons. If it seems worse - a hospital tank with broad spectrum antibiotics - such as Kanamycin or Neomycin or another would be in order . Very nice fish BTW
Thank you! They both have been a bit of a trouble the past week due to the bonding process lol. She has beat him up fairly good but not enough to cause issues. He still eats alot and she isn’t as aggressive as she was the first day.
Now regarding her, i think it’s an injury but I’m not 100% sure. No symptoms of having issues. She eats a lot as well. I have heard it goes back to normal within 10 days. Hopefully that’s the case. Just wanted to make sure it’s nothing worse than a small injury.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! They both have been a bit of a trouble the past week due to the bonding process lol. She has beat him up fairly good but not enough to cause issues. He still eats alot and she isn’t as aggressive as she was the first day.
Now regarding her, i think it’s an injury but I’m not 100% sure. No symptoms of having issues. She eats a lot as well. I have heard it goes back to normal within 10 days. Hopefully that’s the case. Just wanted to make sure it’s nothing worse than a small injury.
Not sure how to interpret your answer - are you planning on using Maracyn - or not. IMHO - Maracyn II would be better frankly but whatever. You are correct the most likely cause of one eye being damaged/Pop-Eye - is exactly that injury - and may be just from a scratch. 2 eyes is a different story. I hope your fish does well - and merry Christmas as well. PS - I would watch your other fish in case its a bacterial infectious disease - with that symptom - likely is extremely rare

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to interpret your answer - are you planning on using Maracyn - or not. IMHO - Maracyn II would be better frankly but whatever. You are correct the most likely cause of one eye being damaged/Pop-Eye - is exactly that injury - and may be just from a scratch. 2 eyes is a different story. I hope your fish does well - and merry Christmas as well. PS - I would watch your other fish in case its a bacterial infectious disease - with that symptom - likely is extremely rare
Hey boss!
I do not have a QT at the moment. I was going to wait a week to see if it goes back down. We are on day 4 and still the same.
She is doing well. Eats like a pig still. I was hoping i could treat it inside my aquarium but i see there is no way of doing so especially with corals. Other fish are okay. Looked today. The wrasse is fine and the smaller clown is fine as well. I think the smaller clown bit at her and accidentally hit her eye because he does strike back from time to time.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.... I has been 2 weeks exactly from the time I realized my fish had pop eye. Looks like it was just a self conflicted injury. It went away yesterday and it is back to normal. Thanks for all the help!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back