Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I came home from walking my dogs today to find my clownfish pressed up against the fish guard of my AI Nero. I turned off my wavemakers and lights and lowered my return pump because it seemed he was having trouble swimming (video attached). I added stress guard and am working on setting up a quarantine for him but I have no clue what’s wrong or what to do. He seemed fine yesterday. Apologies for the dirty glass. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4268.MOV
    28.6 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I came home from walking my dogs today to find my clownfish pressed up against the fish guard of my AI Nero. I turned off my wavemakers and lights and lowered my return pump because it seemed he was having trouble swimming (video attached). I added stress guard and am working on setting up a quarantine for him but I have no clue what’s wrong or what to do. He seemed fine yesterday. Apologies for the dirty glass. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I didn't see a video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry. It should be there now
Cant see clearly with reflections and low light but wondering if fish shows signs of tail and fin nipping damage. If not, could have crashed into glass or object but sad to say fish is moribund which is similar to coma state and will likely not make it.
You can add air stone for added oxygen which may help but dont have high hopes. Its past distress point

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see clearly with reflections and low light but wondering if fish shows signs of tail and fin nipping damage. If not, could have crashed into glass or object but sad to say fish is moribund which is similar to coma state and will likely not make it.
You can add air stone for added oxygen which may help but dont have high hopes. Its past distress point
Thank you. This is super helpful. He disappeared somewhere in the tank before I could finish getting the quarantine set up and honestly I can only hope my CUC has (hopefully) put him out of his misery. He did not look good. I know it’s hard to tell but do you think I should be worried for my other fish (aside from an ammonia spike)? They all seem perfectly normal and healthy. My params are all in their normal ranges too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This is super helpful. He disappeared somewhere in the tank before I could finish getting the quarantine set up and honestly I can only hope my CUC has (hopefully) put him out of his misery. He did not look good. I know it’s hard to tell but do you think I should be worried for my other fish (aside from an ammonia spike)? They all seem perfectly normal and healthy. My params are all in their normal ranges too.
Agreed, the fish is moribund and can’t be saved. The cause could be disease (the clown is breathing fast), water quality issues or injury (less likely).
Damage control - are there other fish in the tank? How does everything else look?
Jay

CLICK TO VIEW

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish is sucked up against something it usually signifies that a significant issue has occurred - whether injury or illness. It's likely something else is going on. I.e. I would be concerned about the rest (if any) fish in your tank

EDIT - I didn't see @Jay Hemdal 's post. Totally agree

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the fish is moribund and can’t be saved. The cause could be disease (the clown is breathing fast), water quality issues or injury (less likely).
Damage control - are there other fish in the tank? How does everything else look?
Jay
Thanks! That is what I have heard but I truly have no clue what could be going on or how to fix it. The other fish are acting perfectly normal, look normal, and are eating properly. I was somewhat worried a week or two ago because I noticed stringy white poop from my clown, but after asking on here and keeping an eye on them, I thought it was because I was feeding too much mysis, so I started incorporating in pellets and reef Frenzy more frequently. Do you think I should treat my tank with something?

My PO4 is nearly undetectable and NO3 is somewhere between 5-12ppm (which is normal for me). I didn’t test ammonia yet bc I added Stressguard so I figured that would mess with the numbers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That is what I have heard but I truly have no clue what could be going on or how to fix it. The other fish are acting perfectly normal, look normal, and are eating properly. I was somewhat worried a week or two ago because I noticed stringy white poop from my clown, but after asking on here and keeping an eye on them, I thought it was because I was feeding too much mysis, so I started incorporating in pellets and reef Frenzy more frequently. Do you think I should treat my tank with something?

My PO4 is nearly undetectable and NO3 is somewhere between 5-12ppm (which is normal for me). I didn’t test ammonia yet bc I added Stressguard so I figured that would mess with the numbers.

What other fish are in the tank?

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely possible. The one that died was the male. I’ve had them for about 3 years and they’ve never been overly aggressive though.
I would watch carefully the other fish - etc - have you added anything else recently?

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch carefully the other fish - etc - have you added anything else recently?
Ooooh you know what? I did add some cerith snails but 3 out of 10 of them were DOA and I didn’t realize until I put them in the tank. I took them out right away but do you think that could’ve caused something?

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Breeders
Back