Clownfish not eating and disinterested in food.

Nutramar

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stopped eating roughly a weekish ago, and now he seems disinterested in food. I left on a trip a week ago and he was eating (not much) but he was eating.

He’s had white/clearish poop in the past so that made me put in prazipro a week or so ago just to be safe but it doesn’t seem to have helped.

I’ve tried pellets, flake, mysis, and rods food and nothing seems to be getting him to eat.

My other clown eats fine, and so does the goby so I’m not sure why this one won’t and I’m kind of at a loss at this point.

I don’t think it’s a water quality issue, but the white one does seem to bully him a bit. They aren’t paired up it seems so I’m not sure if that’s the cause of this or not….

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not see the media, but if this is the smallest clown I would suspect that it was being bullied by the tank mate. You should see that, so a fish that has stopped eating is a huge potential problem, ime.

Can you move the fish into the sump or partition the tank to supply a safe space and observe if it starts eating again?

Can you post a still image or two of the fish that shows the fins and thickness of the gut area?

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not see the media, but if this is the smallest clown I would suspect that it was being bullied by the tank mate. You should see that, so a fish that has stopped eating is a huge potential problem, ime.

Can you move the fish into the sump or partition the tank to supply a safe space and observe if it starts eating again?

Can you post a still image or two of the fish that shows the fins and thickness of the gut area?
I can move it to a breeder box to get it away from the larger one. Or should I move the larger one?

Ill try to get a good picture tomorrow.

Top Shelf Aquatics

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can move it to a breeder box to get it away from the larger one. Or should I move the larger one?

Ill try to get a good picture tomorrow.
Your call in the location, but I think I would separate them and see how they respond.
I hate catching fish in my reef so I can only encourage you to think long term, what needs to happen, how easily you can catch them, etc.

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Box the larger one, 2 hrs after dark room ,clowns easy to catch with flashlight ,
just move light back and forth to see her and what you're doing .

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADF4830C-DF79-40E6-9F84-53F41CF2169D.jpeg

23D3810E-E261-4A06-BE88-41A6913FBBEA.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
short video of breathing , behavior ,will help experts
eating ?

[HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short video of breathing , behavior ,will help experts
eating ?

[HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]
He’s breathing normally and also is swimming normally, just not eating.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any damage to the fins? Does he always hang out in the top corner?
I would separate out the female and see where that goes.
He might have a little damage to his pectoral fins but not much. I’ll try to separate them tonight.

he seems a bit paler than he used to as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might have a little damage to his pectoral fins but not much. I’ll try to separate them tonight.

he seems a bit paler than he used to as well.

That's all I saw, looks pale.....could be from stress.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to move the bully rather than the victim. This way the smaller one get used to the tank and get less stress. When after a week or 2 you release the bully, he has to re acclimate and he is less aggressive.
Alright can do

Nutramar Foods

jpgillespie2

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% bullying. The goby is probably fine because he is not a fish of similar size and shape. If you look back on your post history, you can see the day you got it I warned you of this. Move the bully away from the other clown(separate or put in your sump) and you may be able to get the victim to eat after a day or 2. If he won’t go for food, you can try to feed him different foods from a small baster. Just put the baster right above him and gently expel the food. You may also be able to eventually reintroduce the other clown and just watch very, very closely for the bullying to subside. I suggest getting an acclimation box and after reintroducing the bully clown, put the victim in acclimation box. After doing all this, it may still not work out, but can’t hurt to try.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% bullying. The goby is probably fine because he is not a fish of similar size and shape. If you look back on your post history, you can see the day you got it I warned you of this. Move the bully away from the other clown(separate or put in your sump) and you may be able to get the victim to eat after a day or 2. If he won’t go for food, you can try to feed him different foods from a small baster. Just put the baster right above him and gently expel the food. You may also be able to eventually reintroduce the other clown and just watch very, very closely for the bullying to subside. I suggest getting an acclimation box and after reintroducing the bully clown, put the victim in acclimation box. After doing all this, it may still not work out, but can’t hurt to try.
Honestly the “bullying” isn’t really even that bad, they hang out together all the time. It’s not 24/7, but I’ll move the bigger fish for a bit and see if that helps.

They even sleep in the same area of the tank, I think the bullying might be being blown out of proportion a bit here.

Phil Steel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think about re-working the scape to maybe get a few more hiding spots? This on top of putting the bully in time out!

If he's not stressed out and eating again, then happy days. If still not eating, perhaps use garlic infused pellet food or live mysis to kick start his appetite.

BRS
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think about re-working the scape to maybe get a few more hiding spots? This on top of putting the bully in time out!

If he's not stressed out and eating again, then happy days. If still not eating, perhaps use garlic infused pellet food or live mysis to kick start his appetite.
I can add some areas to hide, maybe a clay pot or something

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back