Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two black ice snowflake clowns about a year ago. One had a darker orange and one was lighter orange. The lighter one lost all it's orange and became black within a couple months. Didn't really mind because it helped tell them apart and looked good. However, I'm starting to notice the other one is started to get darker in some of it's orange spots. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong. Pictures are attached from when I first got them and now. It usually starts by the back area, but I also see coral sting marks on the clown that's losing color both times.

MVIMG_20190730_105502_1.jpg MVIMG_20190710_212057.jpg IMG_20200616_115802.jpg IMG_20200616_115813.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

kyleinpdx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly ocean nutrition prime reef flakes and occasionally nyos goldpods

Honestly, this is probably the issue. IMO, flakes have no place in a reef tank, goldfish and guppies? sure, but you are probably seeing a change in coloration from a lack of well balanced nutrition. If you can, start feeding (at least some of the feedings) a thawed frozen food such as Hikari MegaMarine, or LRS reef frenzy. You can swap those dry foods for Spectrum New Life pellets, a runner up for the SNL foods is the Hikari Marine S pellets.

Feed frozen for a month and I bet you'll see some really vivid coloration return.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, start feeding (at least some of the feedings) a thawed frozen food such as Hikari MegaMarine, or LRS reef frenzy. You can swap those dry foods for Spectrum New Life pellets, a runner up for the
Feed frozen for a month and I bet you'll see some really vivid coloration return.

Great another food we can’t get in the UK!

Op, the fish will also change colour as they get older.

Avast

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great results by adding Beta Glucan to the mix of frozen foods a prepare for my fish. It really boosts their immune system. And the colors improved too. Here's the one I like. It's algae based.

IMG_2165.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned about food. If the fish were pale and the color was absent, then you should consider a better diet. However, these fish look like they're just maturing -- it's common for these morphs with lots of black (black ice, snow onyx, etc.) to shift more towards the darker shades as they get older.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RC
Back