Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just noticed my female clownfish has an injured dorsal fin with the bone exposed. I have no idea how she sustained this injury since she is probably the biggest bully in my 32 gallon tank.

First question is, what is the opinion on injury vs disease. I’ve had this clown for a year and three months. Only new addition has been corals in mid February with the last fish added in December.

Second question is any recommendations on treatment. I’m honestly shocked to see this injury since the clown spends 95% of her time sitting on her nem pillow. I don’t think she could be injured by a power head since I have nem guards on my Nero3 and mess covers on my wave maker.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
E055F62B-12BC-4DD9-81FB-39E0EEAB91D9.jpeg

forgot to post the picture, you can see the bone out of the back of the dorsal fin.

**Edit:. Terrible photo, better one below.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just noticed my female clownfish has an injured dorsal fin with the bone exposed. I have no idea how she sustained this injury since she is probably the biggest bully in my 32 gallon tank.

First question is, what is the opinion on injury vs disease. I’ve had this clown for a year and three months. Only new addition has been corals in mid February with the last fish added in December.

Second question is any recommendations on treatment. I’m honestly shocked to see this injury since the clown spends 95% of her time sitting on her nem pillow. I don’t think she could be injured by a power head since I have nem guards on my Nero3 and mess covers on my wave maker.
Glad to help and recommend but will need a clearer pic or two under white lighting. The one posted is very fuzzy
Are you sure no aggression by others? One way to tell is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.

BRS
OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to help and recommend but will need a clearer pic or two under white lighting. The one posted is very fuzzy
Are you sure no aggression by others? One way to tell is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Less than likely, you’ll see the acclimation box behind the clown. It’s lowered a couple of inches in the water so the clowns swim in. Stocking is two clowns, starry blenny (only other jerk in the tank), mandarin goby, springeri damsel, and a tiny six line who was the last addition.

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I had posted the wrong photo, the better one is below with a marker pointing out the injury.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry I had posted the wrong photo, the better one is below with a marker pointing out the injury.
Got it and nice and clear. I have seen this many times and is a Gram positive bacterial infection and is treatable in quarantine same as with fin rot using Seachem neoplex and you can add seachem metroplex to the food to address it further. Just assure with the metro that you use a very tiny amount each time as it is .5gm by weight which is literally what you cab fit on a pencil tip - Not the whole lead(

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it and nice and clear. I have seen this many times and is a Gram positive bacterial infection and is treatable in quarantine same as with fin rot using Seachem neoplex and you can add seachem metroplex to the food to address it further. Just assure with the metro that you use a very tiny amount each time as it is .5gm by weight which is literally what you cab fit on a pencil tip - Not the whole lead(
Thoughts on cause? I have most all those things, qt tank, and metro. I don't have neoplex unless it is in API general cure. I have Kanaplex. I can get neo though.

I feed frozen twice a day, frozen Hikari spirulina brine shrimp and LRS Nano frenzy both soaked in Brightwell AminOmega (I was using selcon but Amazon was selling brightwells much cheaper). Dosing nanno phytos, oyster feast, aminos, reef chili, reef roids on rotation for corals. They also get fresh brine shrimp babies every three days as the hatchery is loaded.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thoughts on cause? I have most all those things, qt tank, and metro. I don't have neoplex unless it is in API general cure. I have Kanaplex. I can get neo though.

I feed frozen twice a day, frozen Hikari spirulina brine shrimp and LRS Nano frenzy both soaked in Brightwell AminOmega (I was using selcon but Amazon was selling brightwells much cheaper). Dosing nanno phytos, oyster feast, aminos, reef chili, reef roids on rotation for corals. They also get fresh brine shrimp babies every three days as the hatchery is loaded.
kanaplex should be ok. Often its caused by injury and then a bacterial infection or bacterial fin rot

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, that isn’t bone, just a fin ray. It may well heal with no intervention. The trouble is, since you don’t know the cause, the same thing could happen again.
Just watch for signs of bacterial infection here - redness, white growths or an enlarging size.
Jay

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Luckily, that isn’t bone, just a fin ray. It may well heal with no intervention. The trouble is, since you don’t know the cause, the same thing could happen again.
Just watch for signs of bacterial infection here - redness, white growths or an enlarging size.
Jay
K, I'll keep an eye on it. As most of us do, I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at my tank which is why I'm shocked to see this this afternoon. Only thing I could imagine happening is the starry blenny getting too close to her nem since she is protective of it and a scuffle ensued. He will peck at the film algae on the box and he is the only other large inhabitant since he is full sized.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back