Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the industry and any time I see or hear it, I get mental images of illiterate, uneducated people.
depositphotos_76469911-stock-photo-tattling-redneck.jpg

It is the reference to clownfish "hosting" in anemones, corals or anything else. It derives from the fact that the 10 anemone species that clownfish naturally associate with are referred to as host anemones but for whatever reason, people have switched to referring to the clownfish as the hosts.

host
/həʊst/

noun
a person who receives or entertains other people as guests.
"they were always gracious hosts at the numerous dinner parties they held for friends"
BIOLOGY
an animal or plant on or in which a parasite or commensal organism lives.

Clownfish DO NOT host in anything, they reside in or associate with.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

stevolough

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the industry and any time I see or hear it, I get mental images of illiterate, uneducated people.

It is the reference to clownfish "hosting" in anemones, corals or anything else. It derives from the fact that the 10 anemone species that clownfish naturally associate with are referred to as host anemones but for whatever reason, people have switched to referring to the clownfish as the hosts.

host
/həʊst/

noun
"they were always gracious hosts at the numerous dinner parties they held for friends"
BIOLOGY

Sorry we’re so stupid

AS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

host
/həʊst/

noun
BIOLOGY

We all know what theyre saying and often such postings are written in excitement and although yes, clowns are the guests, but in respect most of us will not correct them not insult them.
That was great observation and meaningful ost on your behalf !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given that so many people care about what other people say incorrectly, I'm probably going to start using this backwards just to peeve people off.

If everyone is so fragile, they get their panties in a wad over the incorrect use of host versus guest, Then I'm going to attempt to exploit that for my own enjoyment..

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

host
/həʊst/

noun
BIOLOGY

Clownfish DO NOT host in anything
It took forever, but my clownfish is FINALLY hosting in one of my LPS.

On an unrelated note, eventually we all say or do something that's wrong, or uninformed. Might be nice to...be nice.

Nutramar Foods

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great George Carlin once alluded to "driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway". I guess depending on how far you want to take it, we could all be considered pretty uneducated.

P.S. I have 2 sleeveless shirts. :rolleyes:

Avast

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day, the car drove me to the LFS, where a neon dottyback saw me and absolutely fell in love with me. Some concerns had me about how the dottyback will accept the rest of my fish as an aggressive fish. So the LFS worker asked me for advise and made me feel that it will be ok to keep one. So the dottyback purchased me and and took me back home

It's been a few weeks now and my fish community has integrated well into the new dottyback.

stevolough

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day, the car drove me to the LFS, where a neon dottyback saw me and absolutely fell in love with me. Some concerns had me about how the dottyback will accept the rest of my fish as an aggressive fish. So the LFS worker asked me for advise and made me feel that it will be ok to keep one. So the dottyback purchased me and and took me back home

It's been a few weeks now and my fish community has integrated well into the new dottyback.
I can’t be stupid cause that makes perfect sense to me

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HILARIOUS!!

BRS

Rp8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

host
/həʊst/

noun
BIOLOGY

That guy is my cousin. And my clownfish hosts my zoa garden.
Is that not acceptable?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I'm sure most of us know that fact. However for me personally, and maybe for others, it is just easier and faster to say it the "inaccurate" way. It doesn't mean we're dense, lol. It's the same reason I almost always say nem instead of anemone. ‍♀️

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great George Carlin once alluded to "driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway". I guess depending on how far you want to take it, we could all be considered pretty uneducated.

P.S. I have 2 sleeveless shirts. :rolleyes:
Why do you need a hot water heater? Hot water is already hot. Gallagher

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back