Clownfish Female Being Aggressive to Mandarin Goby

Nitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Many years ago I added a mandarin goby to my 20 gallon not knowing that tank was a bit too new and small to house a mandarin in the first place. It got along with my clownfish just fine in the few months I had it, but recently in my 40 reef, I added a mandarin as I felt I could support one better now, but the female clownfish is incredibly protective of her space. I was under the impression she wouldn't care as its the same clownfish I used to have with the other mandarin but I guess shes gotten quite territorial since those days. She seems to push the mandarin away by swimming into him when he gets too close, but the mandarin doesn't seem to care? The mandarin actually likes to swim just to the edge of their anemones and sit still in the same spot, almost like its being submissive but I'm not completely sure. I'm just a bit concerned the situation might get more aggressive but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there's a chance the clownfish will start to accept the mandarin and not dislike him so much when they realize the mandarin isn't an enemy? I have a yellow watchman about the same size as the mandarin and the clownfish seem to be okay with him, so I'm wondering if they will treat the mandarin the same with time? Would love some thoughts and any advice!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are awful little things and mandarin are required to non stop feed. I would probably recommend returning the mandarin. Had the same thing happen in my 90g and it didn't work out so well.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clownfish ever spawned? I wouldn't put it past the Mandarin to eat the babies once they hatch. Maybe this is why they're so territorial.

OP
OP
Nitrites

Nitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clownfish ever spawned? I wouldn't put it past the Mandarin to eat the babies once they hatch. Maybe this is why they're so territorial.
Yes, just this year, they have had probably at least 7 clutches of eggs.

OP
OP
Nitrites

Nitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish could I get that they wouldn't be territorial with? was thinking of an anthias, or bangai cardinals?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are awful little things and mandarin are required to non stop feed. I would probably recommend returning the mandarin. Had the same thing happen in my 90g and it didn't work out so well.
Same. My Mandarin in a 90g was bullied by I don't know which fish did it. It did not survive past two days. It may have been my otherwise docile Maroon.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish could I get that they wouldn't be territorial with? was thinking of an anthias, or bangai cardinals?

You could try a Bangaii cardinal or some Anthias, but if they get too close to the eggs or the general area the Clownfish call home it might be deja vu all over again. I've got a pair of Ocellaris clowns that spawn all the time, but as soon as a snail (much or less a fish) gets too close to the lower back corner of my tank they get super aggressive.
As long as the clowns aren't chasing the mandarin all over the tank then I wouldn't worry about it too much. These little squabbles won't really amount to anything. GL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitrites

Nitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a Bangaii cardinal or some Anthias, but if they get too close to the eggs or the general area the Clownfish call home it might be deja vu all over again. I've got a pair of Ocellaris clowns that spawn all the time, but as soon as a snail (much or less a fish) gets too close to the lower back corner of my tank they get super aggressive.
As long as the clowns aren't chasing the mandarin all over the tank then I wouldn't worry about it too much. These little squabbles won't really amount to anything. GL.
As an update, I've been watching the mandarin all day. He seems to have a good relationship going with my pistol shrimp and watchman goby, and the clownfish haven't tried chasing him down. Its only a 40 gallon though, so hopefully he's able to make the better use of the rockwork where the clowns don't roam. Doesn't seem like the aggression is bad enough to return the Mandarin just yet. Thanks for your thoughts!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back