Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times already. But, is there any medication I can use for clownfish disease while keeping my fishes in my reef tank that won't upset my corals & invertebrate too much?
Unfortunately, I don't have the space or equipment for a quarantine tank.

Thanks in advance for the help

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times already. But, is there any medication I can use for clownfish disease while keeping my fishes in my reef tank that won't upset my corals & invertebrate too much?

If you have for sure identified the disease as Brooklynellosis, then I'm afraid there are few remedies I'm aware. This protozoa, Brooklynella hostilis is often on wild caught clownfish. The typical treatments include formalin dips, and chloroquine. Lowering the salinity is helpful. Although I'm new to reef tanks, I don't imagine any of these are suitable for corals, not to mention the effort to repeatedly catch the fish for the dips.

One of the benefits of the aqua-cultured clownfish is to avoid this and other diseases.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could invent one, that would be a profitable market.

Sorry to sound flippant, but the reality is none has been proven to exist. One vendor that claims its product works is Ruby Reef. The product is Rally Pro. They claim the product is reef safe and effective for Brooklynella. The original product contained Formalin, but the current version only contains acriflavine and aminoacridine. The only product that can be administered simultaneously with Rally Pro is kick-ich pro by the same manufacturer. Warning, kich-ich pro is NOT reef safe.

If you choose this route, let us know if you are successful.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will let you know what happens, thanks for the advice.
I did pickup PolypLab parasite treatment late last night & I also have Seachem Metronidazole on the way, are those capable treatments, if you know?

Polylab contains "crystalized peroxide salts". It is not recommended by the manufacturer for Brooklynella. Although it is recommended by the manufacturer for ich and velvet, we've not seen this product effectively eliminate these parasites and it is not one we recommend.

Metranidazole is an antibiotic. As such it is not recommended for parasite control.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

While brook is most common, just want to verify what disease you are targeting.
If brook, typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While brook is most common, just want to verify what disease you are targeting.
If brook, typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials
Read this on another post, thanks for the help but seems a bit generic, you didn't really read my thread post question. However, the advice is well taken.
Will try the Rally Pro approach when received in the post (hopefully tomorrow), but in last resort effort will get the needed equip asap to try to setup a quarantine, have to find/make a space where I don't know where to fit it

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back