Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Total newbie here. I cycled my tank for a little over a month with live rock/sand and Microbacter7. My readings last week were at zero. I purchased my first clown on Saturday and he was fine until this morning (Tuesday). He was swimming towards the top of my tank for a bit and then later on he was dead. I ran some testing and noticed my Nitrates spiked. My temperature was 78F and I have two Vortech mp40 running at 50%. Any ideas of what killed my fish? Was it the Nitrate spike? What can I do to prevent this in the future? Thank you! Karen

AEF881B9-4591-47BB-830C-5DC6D89EE49F.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrate looks fine, wouldn't think it was that.

Could have been an issue with the fish, hard to say without knowing much about the setup.
Where did you purchase the fish from? 20 nitrates shouldn't kill a fish. Any sign of disease or injury? How were your levels like during the cycle?

Nigel
I got him from a local pet shop in San Diego, CA, Pet Kingdom. He looked fine. I honestly don’t remember the numbers when it was cycling.

OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrate looks fine, wouldn't think it was that.

Could have been an issue with the fish, hard to say without knowing much about the setup.
Ok good. I’m wondering what happened then. I have a HOB filter, two Vortech mp40s, rock, sand and a heater for now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Kacor13

Kacor13

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the fish like when at the store? Healthy, swimming around, feeding well, agile etc. ?
All the above. And he was like this here to until this morning. At first I couldn’t find him then I found him towards the top of the tank, then later dead against the outside part of the foam to my MP40.

Nutramar Foods
Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back