Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tl;dr - watch the attached video and let me know if you think this fish looks ill. :)

Apologies in advance for the length. A little over 4 months ago, some friends who were moving gave us this FO 40g tall tank. It came with four clownfish - one cinnamon, two orange ocellaris, and one black & white (I think?). Knowing what I know now, this is less than an ideal combo, but they generally get along. I don't know how old they are or where they came from. The only other tank inhabitants are a coral banded shrimp and assorted hermit crabs and snails.

I'm religious about water changes and I check my parameters at least once a week. Currently, they are:
Temp - 78°
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20
Phosphates - 0
Calcium 380
dKH - 14
pH - 8

I just added a little crushed coral to get the calcium and pH up a titch, and I've been working to solve the dKH issue (it was 22 the first time I measured it, before I got RO/DI) but otherwise, this tank has been stable for months.

Then: IMG_20200724_183235.jpg
Now: PXL_20201207_221357286.jpg

This little guy (Pickles) was initially a bit of a bully to the smallest fish, but the pecking order seems to have shifted recently. I can't tell if his behavior has changed because of stress, or if he has some other issue. He seems a little pale to me, and he spends a lot of time hiding in low-flow corners - behind HOB equipment and a canister filter. I don't see anything obvious that looks like fungus, and his breathing doesn't seem rapid to me. He still eats well.

Anything that suggests an illness?

I'm in the process of setting up a 120g reef tank and plan to put water in it before Xmas. My plan was to cycle the tank and move these clowns into it, hoping some more space could alleviate whatever tension they're causing each other. I'd like to use their current tank as the QT for new additions, but not if there's a chance of sharing disease with newcomers.

Any cause for concern? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20201207_214039236~2.mp4
    60.2 MB

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your then and now photos backward? I ask because the now looks better than the then...
Other than that. seems fine to me. Things might be happening that you are not there to witness to cause behavioral changes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your then and now photos backward? I ask because the now looks better than the then...
Other than that. seems fine to me. Things might be happening that you are not there to witness to cause behavioral changes.

Nope, they're in the right order. I think it's just the lighting/cell phone pic combo..? His coloring has definitely shifted with maturity.

These are my first clownfish and I might be unnecessarily concerned. Is there anything I can do between now and the bigger tank to keep everyone safe, healthy and happy?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tl;dr - watch the attached video and let me know if you think this fish looks ill. :)

Apologies in advance for the length. A little over 4 months ago, some friends who were moving gave us this FO 40g tall tank. It came with four clownfish - one cinnamon, two orange ocellaris, and one black & white (I think?). Knowing what I know now, this is less than an ideal combo, but they generally get along. I don't know how old they are or where they came from. The only other tank inhabitants are a coral banded shrimp and assorted hermit crabs and snails.

I'm religious about water changes and I check my parameters at least once a week. Currently, they are:
Temp - 78°
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20
Phosphates - 0
Calcium 380
dKH - 14
pH - 8

I just added a little crushed coral to get the calcium and pH up a titch, and I've been working to solve the dKH issue (it was 22 the first time I measured it, before I got RO/DI) but otherwise, this tank has been stable for months.

Then: View attachment 1917929
Now: View attachment 1917966

This little guy (Pickles) was initially a bit of a bully to the smallest fish, but the pecking order seems to have shifted recently. I can't tell if his behavior has changed because of stress, or if he has some other issue. He seems a little pale to me, and he spends a lot of time hiding in low-flow corners - behind HOB equipment and a canister filter. I don't see anything obvious that looks like fungus, and his breathing doesn't seem rapid to me. He still eats well.

Anything that suggests an illness?

I'm in the process of setting up a 120g reef tank and plan to put water in it before Xmas. My plan was to cycle the tank and move these clowns into it, hoping some more space could alleviate whatever tension they're causing each other. I'd like to use their current tank as the QT for new additions, but not if there's a chance of sharing disease with newcomers.

Any cause for concern? Much appreciated.
I don't see any overt signs of disease. I did see the orange clown intimidate it a bit. I think the dynamics between the fish are just shifting a bit. As long as it doesn't get too out of balance, I think they'll be fine.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any overt signs of disease. I did see the orange clown intimidate it a bit. I think the dynamics between the fish are just shifting a bit. As long as it doesn't get too out of balance, I think they'll be fine.
Jay

Thanks. That gives me some peace of mind.

That specific orange one used to be his best buddy. Now it's friendlier with the smallest (also orange) clown. Feels like clownfish middle school...

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back