+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27CB8962-2ABC-46FD-9B4F-CF32E9D08544.jpeg

2 nights ago my clownfish were fighting…grabbing gills and locking mouths. Yesterday one was stuck to the filter. I put one in a hatchery and he laid on his side all night. Today he is swimming around fine but he has these blisters around his mouth. Is this fighting wounds or some disease? Didn’t have them until the fights.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that also might me violent for clownfish,(i dont know, my clowns fish a little bit but that much, i dont know if that amount of fighting is normal, dont do this until someone confirms this) might want to keep them apart until they get nicer with each other.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 3053619
2 nights ago my clownfish were fighting…grabbing gills and locking mouths. Yesterday one was stuck to the filter. I put one in a hatchery and he laid on his side all night. Today he is swimming around fine but he has these blisters around his mouth. Is this fighting wounds or some disease? Didn’t have them until the fights.
Unfortunately, this is a result of clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often aggressively protect their home whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
The mouth will heal on its own but take some time and isolation was the best thing you could do. IF it becomes infected, it will need to be quarantined and treated with Maracyn 2 or Seachem kanaplex

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a replacement, make sure the new one you buy is much smaller than the one you have. It will avoid fight, as the smaller one will most likely be submissive and become the male.
I am guessing the blister are the results of the locking jaws and the fight, but You need someone else to confirm it.You may have to treat with med, if it become infected. Clown can be very aggressive and kill each other.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back