+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a clownfish, Wyoming variant and is 95% white which makes it hard to diagnosis. I do see Brook type area in one of her fins, she’s the female. I gave her a freshwater dip with the other two fish and moved them to the QT tank. I ordered metro and will be here tomorrow via Amazon with Kana, and focus.

I found some API general cure and furan 2 in my collection which are still good. Should I add them? Add just general cure in the meantime metro gets here? I also have coppersafe I can add and have my Hannah checker to measure. So far only one clown is showing symptoms.

Planning on doing a dip on her later today, debating if freshwater or hydrogen peroxide will be better.

Thank you for the input.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White clownfish are difficult to diagnose due to lack of contrast, as you know. How long have you had the fish? Is it showing any other symptoms?

Can you post a video? YouTube links work well.

Kanamycin and Focus is ineffective against Brooklynella, and unless you calculate the dose (50mg per kg of fish weight) it can be toxic.

API General cure has metronidazole in it, so if you dose it with another metronidazole product, you will overdose.
Furan 2 is an antibiotic, so won't help., For whatever reason, copper also doesn't work for Brooklynella.

Freshwater dips will help as a stop-gap measure.

Jay

Jimmy Holmesd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking into Ruby Reef Rally as a treatment for Brook. It says its reef safe but I've seen where it has caused issues with coral in a DT. I suppose if the infected fish were in a QT you'd be fine. Rally has formaline in it which I've seen is the best treatment for Brook.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White clownfish are difficult to diagnose due to lack of contrast, as you know. How long have you had the fish? Is it showing any other symptoms?

Can you post a video? YouTube links work well.

Kanamycin and Focus is ineffective against Brooklynella, and unless you calculate the dose (50mg per kg of fish weight) it can be toxic.

API General cure has metronidazole in it, so if you dose it with another metronidazole product, you will overdose.
Furan 2 is an antibiotic, so won't help., For whatever reason, copper also doesn't work for Brooklynella.

Freshwater dips will help as a stop-gap measure.

Jay
Hey Jay,
I noticed a change in her breathing about 2 days ago and yesterday I saw the white markings and her face looked pale. I noticed she was was barely eating. Gave her the 5 FW bath and I don’t see anything in her fins in the back. I did see her gills look swollen.

I moved the clowns to a separate box to help me keep a closer an eye on them.
Here is the YouTube video I took.

My plan was to change 50% water tomorrow when I received metro since metro is supposed to be the best for Brook. General cure was given since I had some in my house.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking into Ruby Reef Rally as a treatment for Brook. It says it’s reef safe but I've seen where it has caused issues with coral in a DT. I suppose if the infected fish were in a QT you'd be fine. Rally has formaline in it which I've seen is the best treatment for Brook.
Can general cure and Ruby red be given? What’s your opinion on what could be wrong with her since her color makes it hard to see any spots.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Jay,
I noticed a change in her breathing about 2 days ago and yesterday I saw the white markings and her face looked pale. I noticed she was was barely eating. Gave her the 5 FW bath and I don’t see anything in her fins in the back. I did see her gills look swollen.

My plan was to change 50% water tomorrow when I received metro since metro is supposed to be the best for Brook. General cure was given since I had some in my house.

Thanks for posting video as Jay requested. This fish shows heavy presence of mucus suggests brooklynella which commonly affects clowns especially wild caught versions. I
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting video as Jay requested. This fish shows heavy presence of mucus suggests brooklynella which commonly affects clowns especially wild caught versions. I
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I added API Quick cure today and have Seachem Metro arriving tomorrow. Since quick cure contains similar ingredients, I will save it for another time unless metro is a better alternative and will drain the Qt tank if needed. At that point use Metro.

Any benefit in doing hydrogen peroxide baths?

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

Formalin is a better treatment for Brooklynella than Metronidazole is. I wonder if Rally Pro would even work better than metro?

Jay

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is a better treatment for Brooklynella than Metronidazole is. I wonder if Rally Pro would even work better than metro?

Jay
Jay,

Seems this is not a fast product to ship by amazon. Just to make sure, I placed an order for this and will read up on how to use it and in the meantime, freshwater baths and quick cure?

E85D176C-56B2-4F9D-A60E-9916949F0B85.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - be REALLY sure to handle this carefully - read the label well!
Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - be REALLY sure to handle this carefully - read the label well!
Jay
Thank you Jay,

Yes, I saved the process from Humblefish and saw the video from BRS, is not an easy process but very doable. Especially since I only have one tank so will need to move fast between draining and getting the tank ready. But I can keep them in a specimen container if I need more time. The key is to make sure the QT is sterile.

The clownfish looks slightly better at time but hard to tell if she’s getting better or just the same. Color seems better but still activity level is low and breathing looks slightly better. Will drain 25% since I get my metro today and treat with it with 2 scoop for the 20 gallons. Then judgment day on Wednesday for Brook. ☠️

I also dosed redsea AB+ for vitamins since I don’t have any vitamin specific for fish with me, figured it may help right now.

update video:

thanks

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking into Ruby Reef Rally as a treatment for Brook. It says its reef safe but I've seen where it has caused issues with coral in a DT. I suppose if the infected fish were in a QT you'd be fine. Rally has formaline in it which I've seen is the best treatment for Brook.
Appears the OP has found a source for formalin, but I want to update the info here.

The original Ruby Reef Rally product did in fact contain formalin. Ruby Reef Rally Pro replaced the original product and does NOT contain formalin (per conversation with Ruby Reef staff). The instructions for Rally Pro still indicate it is a treatment for Brooklynella. Its primary ingredient is acriflavine. I haven't seen any reports one way or the other about its effectiveness since the formula changed.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears the OP has found a source for formalin, but I want to update the info here.

The original Ruby Reef Rally product did in fact contain formalin. Ruby Reef Rally Pro replaced the original product and does NOT contain formalin (per conversation with Ruby Reef staff). The instructions for Rally Pro still indicate it is a treatment for Brooklynella. Its primary ingredient is acriflavine. I haven't seen any reports one way or the other about its effectiveness since the formula changed.
So is formalin still the best to use or can use I ruby red which will be easier to use for the fish and I? I can also get it on Wednesday via Amazon.

I ignored Ruby red because it failed to fix an ick issue I had in the past.

thanks

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is formalin still the best to use or can use I ruby red which will be easier to use for the fish and I? I can also get it on Wednesday via Amazon.

I ignored Ruby red because it failed to fix an ick issue I had in the past.

thanks
Formalin would be the best, just follow all of the precautions. If you happen to have the original Ruby Reef Rally it contains formalin. It has not been on the market for a while. The product on the market now is Ruby Reef Rally Pro which does not contain formalin.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin would be the best, just follow all of the precautions. If you happen to have the original Ruby Reef Rally it contains formalin. It has not been on the market for a while. The product on the market now is Ruby Reef Rally Pro which does not contain formalin.
Ok, Thanks.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed a 30% water change and lowerred salinity to 1.016 to make it easier on her, forget is better to have lower salinity in this case. Added 4 scoops for my 20 gallon. Seeing some light more activity from her…..positive signs. The other two fish are acting and eating normally. She does look clean from the outside, no spots or slime, but guess the damage is in the gills.

BRS
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASH=71444]##Update[/HASH]##

I performed the formalin bath last night on all 3 fish and deep cleaned the DT per BRS instructions. The male clownfish and tang appear to be normal and eating. The female clownfish has been more active and appears to eat but backs out at the last second. I added metro the the water but unsure what steps to take now.

video is today:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back