Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am new to the hobby and have had my tank for about a month and a half. It is 50 gallons and I did a fishless cycle. Added two juvenile clowns two weeks ago. 6 days ago I also added a firefish and juvenile engineer goby, all were bought prequarentined.

The day I added the firefish and goby, I noticed the black storm developed a cloudy eye on the right and today (6 days later) I've noticed a bump on the left side of its face. The clown is acting normally and eating very well. There has been no aggression between any of the fish that I have noticed and all other fish are acting normally and eating well. No other fish have any bumps or cloudy eyes.

I am currently setting up my 10 gal QT tank and will be putting the clown there. I have API melafix and Fritz maracyn oxy. Are there other recommendations for medication and if this is a bacterial or fungal infection?

Thank you so much for your help.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Currently fish only
Aquarium water volume: 50 gal
Filtration type: Fluval C4 power filter
Lighting: Finnex 24/7 light
How long has the aquarium been established? 1.5 months

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature- 79.9F
pH: 8.0
Salinity / specific gravity-1.026 SG
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10ppm

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Respiration rate of affected fish- No rapid movements. (The fish moves too quickly for me to count gill beats accurately)
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None

IMG_8250.jpg IMG_8251.jpg IMG_8253.jpg IMG_8257.jpg IMG_8260.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi there, I am new to the hobby and have had my tank for about a month and a half. It is 50 gallons and I did a fishless cycle. Added two juvenile clowns two weeks ago. 6 days ago I also added a firefish and juvenile engineer goby, all were bought prequarentined.

The day I added the firefish and goby, I noticed the black storm developed a cloudy eye on the right and today (6 days later) I've noticed a bump on the left side of its face. The clown is acting normally and eating very well. There has been no aggression between any of the fish that I have noticed and all other fish are acting normally and eating well. No other fish have any bumps or cloudy eyes.

I am currently setting up my 10 gal QT tank and will be putting the clown there. I have API melafix and Fritz maracyn oxy. Are there other recommendations for medication and if this is a bacterial or fungal infection?

Thank you so much for your help.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Currently fish only
Aquarium water volume: 50 gal
Filtration type: Fluval C4 power filter
Lighting: Finnex 24/7 light
How long has the aquarium been established? 1.5 months

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature- 79.9F
pH: 8.0
Salinity / specific gravity-1.026 SG
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10ppm

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Respiration rate of affected fish- No rapid movements. (The fish moves too quickly for me to count gill beats accurately)
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None

View attachment 2950653 View attachment 2950654 View attachment 2950655 View attachment 2950657 View attachment 2950659
The bump is an ulcer and the eye is likely an injury or scratch and can be treated with Maracyn also known as maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for at least 5 days.
The ulcer may may be internal and best is to add seachem Metroplex to the foods at a very tiny amount 5gm in weight

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bump is an ulcer and the eye is likely an injury or scratch and can be treated with Maracyn also known as maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for at least 5 days.
The ulcer may may be internal and best is to add seachem Metroplex to the foods at a very tiny amount 5gm in weight
Thank you! Just grabbed some metroplex at the LFS :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Things unfortunately have taken a turn for the worse. I moved the clown to QT last night and added the maracyn 2. Last night the tank had a power filter and air bubbler. When i woke up this AM, she was laying on her side and has heavy breathing. Temp is 77.5 and I added a wave maker this AM.

At this point I'm not sure if she's going to pull through. Would it be better to move her back to DT or would that just add more stress?
IMG-8270.jpg
IMG-8268.jpg
IMG-8267.jpg

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a video you could attach?
Is the eye looking any better?
Well of course I decided to try to feed it and it sprung up immediately and ate like a pig! It's currently swimming normally and searching for food. I dont know if it was just being a weird clown before but if it lays down again, I will send a video.

As for the eye, it looks over all similar but the bump on the opposite side is no longer swollen and there is a small red area where the bump was previously.

AS
OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Just wanted to update and ask for more advice on this clown. I did a five day course of Maracyn 2 and initially things seemed to be doing well. The bump on the left improved and the eye seemed to be getting better. Now, however, the right eye is still very cloudy and half of the left is too. Also it seems there is something attached below the left eye where the bump was. Are these flukes? I have API general cure so was thinking of dosing that if they are flukes. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8385.jpeg
    IMG_8385.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8387.jpeg
    IMG_8387.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 11
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back