Clown Harem

saleen385

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on adding 10 gold stripe maroon clowns to my 180. I have only 2 fish in there now, a 6" Hippo and a 6" blonde naso. There are roughly 20 nems in the tank now.
Do you think there would be any problems?
I had a gold stripe for over 15yrs. in there that recently died while on vacation.

Thanks

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maroons are typically some of the more aggressive clowns but I’m sure you already know that. Even ocellaris can be challenging and it’s likely that over time you’ll see a significant reduction in the number of clowns as they fight for dominance. It sounds like a cool idea and I hope it works out. Try to get them all fairly young from the same batch to try to reduce issues.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously stated by @crazyfishmom, maroons are aggressive. They're so aggressive that even at a young age, they need to be separated or they'll fight. So, unlike other species where the recommendation is to get them young and from the same clutch, I don't think that will work with maroons. If you're still planning a harem, I recommend percula or ocellaris, or even skunk clownfish over maroons, and I recommend getting at least a dozen to spread the fighting out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back