Clown fish with white stringy poop

dxstyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone…

So I just added a flasher wrasse into my DT. Within 48hrs my clowns are showing signs of some sort of internal parasite and has white stringy poop. They also are looking like their fins are more “white” than usual.

Issue is i’m in Canada and fish meds are banned here without a “vet prescription” which is just ridiculous. What are my options??

Do i have time to order it from the states and hope it gets here quick enough? What else could it be? Clown fish are the only ones showing any symptoms at the moment.

For reference in the DT we currently have 1 flasher wrasse, 1 six line, 2 clowns, 1 watchman goby.

Please let me know what options i have, my LFS pretty much said my only option is to sit and hope for the best or order from the states and hope it isn’t to late.

Thanks
IMG_0537.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone…

So I just added a flasher wrasse into my DT. Within 48hrs my clowns are showing signs of some sort of internal parasite and has white stringy poop. They also are looking like their fins are more “white” than usual.

Issue is i’m in Canada and fish meds are banned here without a “vet prescription” which is just ridiculous. What are my options??

Do i have time to order it from the states and hope it gets here quick enough? What else could it be? Clown fish are the only ones showing any symptoms at the moment.

For reference in the DT we currently have 1 flasher wrasse, 1 six line, 2 clowns, 1 watchman goby.

Please let me know what options i have, my LFS pretty much said my only option is to sit and hope for the best or order from the states and hope it isn’t to late.

Thanks
IMG_0537.jpeg
Can you post a video of the clown under white lights?

OP
OP
D

dxstyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of the clown under white lights?

Yeah, sorry for crappy quality, reflection and length lol.

The smaller one looks in worse condition at the moment. But haven’t seen any white poop from him only the larger one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sorry for crappy quality, reflection and length lol.

The smaller one looks in worse condition at the moment. But haven’t seen any white poop from him only the larger one.

I'm seeing ich on the one clown - in the still pic as well as in both videos. That isn't causing the stringy feces, but it will require immediate treatment - either coppersafe or hyposalinity, in a treatment tank of all exposed fish (ugh!)

OP
OP
D

dxstyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing ich on the one clown - in the still pic as well as in both videos. That isn't causing the stringy feces, but it will require immediate treatment - either coppersafe or hyposalinity, in a treatment tank of all exposed fish (ugh!)
Any treatments possible without using a separate tank? Strapped for space and money at the moment unfortunately:/ Also don’t think copper safe is available here either…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Any treatments possible without using a separate tank? Strapped for space and money at the moment unfortunately:/ Also don’t think copper safe is available here either…
With ic, there is no effective reef safe remedy and agree on ich. You will want to isolate in a separate treatment tank and use coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, A rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
As for white feces, it can be as simple as excess mucus in the stomach especially if you are feeding heavy with mysis and/or brine shrimp which often mimics internal issues

OP
OP
D

dxstyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ic, there is no effective reef safe remedy and agree on ich. You will want to isolate in a separate treatment tank and use coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, A rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
As for white feces, it can be as simple as excess mucus in the stomach especially if you are feeding heavy with mysis and/or brine shrimp which often mimics internal issues
Went out this morning to the states to get everything and got home to the whole tank nuked and floating…. crazy how within 24hrs of seeing symptoms everything is gone:/

Guess i’ll leave the tank as is for the next 2-3 months and go from there. I assume all inverts and corals are fine to stay, yeah?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Went out this morning to the states to get everything and got home to the whole tank nuked and floating…. crazy how within 24hrs of seeing symptoms everything is gone:/

Guess i’ll leave the tank as is for the next 2-3 months and go from there. I assume all inverts and corals are fine to stay, yeah?
I suggest as a safeguard, adding ruby Rally pro which is also invert and coral safe

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back