Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me in troubleshooting a new issue with my clown fish (see attached pictures). I have a total of two, one is completely fine and acting normal. The smaller of the two is having a hard time swimming. He will sink to the bottom and flop around, then swim up to the surface for a minute, only to return to the bottom and lay there.

Current tank:

14 Gallon
Parameters are stable

Recently added 3 Green Chromis. The largest of the 3 appears to have killed the other two. I am worried that it's attention has turned to my smaller clownfish. I have not observed any damage, but it may have occurred overnight.

My question is, does this looks like a disease that could spread, or is this physical damage from the new Chromis.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_7798.jpg IMG_7799.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me in troubleshooting a new issue with my clown fish (see attached pictures). I have a total of two, one is completely fine and acting normal. The smaller of the two is having a hard time swimming. He will sink to the bottom and flop around, then swim up to the surface for a minute, only to return to the bottom and lay there.

Current tank:

14 Gallon
Parameters are stable

Recently added 3 Green Chromis. The largest of the 3 appears to have killed the other two. I am worried that it's attention has turned to my smaller clownfish. I have not observed any damage, but it may have occurred overnight.

My question is, does this looks like a disease that could spread, or is this physical damage from the new Chromis.

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 2559925 View attachment 2559926

Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I don't see any ripped fins that so often is a symptom of aggression, but the discolored sections on the fish's body could be from hits from the other fish. You may never see that actually happen - while you are intently watching your fish, they stop what they are doing and watch you back! One trick you could try is to set up your phone to film the tank then leave the room/ Reviewing the video may tell you who the culprit is.

The other, better option is to move this fish to a hospital tank (you may not have one though) or at least to a hanging acclimation basket in this tank.

I would avoid green chromis altogether. For as common as they are in the hobby, they have a horrendously poor survival rate - sometimes less than 25% make it more than 40 days.

Another issue - clownfish are prone to a disease called Brooklynella. This creates white mucus on the skin of the fish, which in turn can look a bit like wounds from aggression.

Jay

AS
OP
OP
S

soberfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I don't see any ripped fins that so often is a symptom of aggression, but the discolored sections on the fish's body could be from hits from the other fish. You may never see that actually happen - while you are intently watching your fish, they stop what they are doing and watch you back! One trick you could try is to set up your phone to film the tank then leave the room/ Reviewing the video may tell you who the culprit is.

The other, better option is to move this fish to a hospital tank (you may not have one though) or at least to a hanging acclimation basket in this tank.

I would avoid green chromis altogether. For as common as they are in the hobby, they have a horrendously poor survival rate - sometimes less than 25% make it more than 40 days.

Another issue - clownfish are prone to a disease called Brooklynella. This creates white mucus on the skin of the fish, which in turn can look a bit like wounds from aggression.

Jay

Jay,

Thank you for the help! I will attempt to pull the clown fish out. It has gotten significantly worse the past hour (yesterday was completely fine). I have attached a video, but I'm afraid he's on his last fin.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is brook, try getting some paraguard (or at least ruby reef rally pro which might help) from your lfs asap. A freshwater dip may help give temporary relief. You need to do this immediately

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

soberfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help. I tried the FW dip, and he did seem to perk up quite a bit. I ran out to grab Ruby Reef Rally Pro from the LFS. Unfortunately, when I got back, he was gone. :( Thank you very much for the quick replies and the assistance. Hopefully, whatever it was, doesn't spread to the other Clown Fish. As of now, there isn't a spot on it. So my fingers are crossed.

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
I know you’ve mentioned clowns don’t often get uronema, but do the sores on the clown look anything like that? Or am I tricking myself?
The addition of chromis (highly susceptible) and their quick deaths could be related.
@soberfish
Sorry to hear about the clown and chromis - always sucks to lose fish. At least you have the medication now if any future problems occur (hopefully you never have to use it though).

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help. I tried the FW dip, and he did seem to perk up quite a bit. I ran out to grab Ruby Reef Rally Pro from the LFS. Unfortunately, when I got back, he was gone. :( Thank you very much for the quick replies and the assistance. Hopefully, whatever it was, doesn't spread to the other Clown Fish. As of now, there isn't a spot on it. So my fingers are crossed.

Sorry to hear. Keep us posted on the others. I think ruby reef rally pro is supposed to be ok in tanks (at least thats how they advertise it), so you could possibly go ahead and treat the display but I'll also see what Jay recommends.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love any advice you could offer!

Jay Hemdals QT guide on here is a great start. Essentially, you just need a small tank, heater (81F), a hob filter with biosponges, a bottle of cycling bacteria, copper power and test (hannna one is great), and prazipro (or api general cure). Once it's setup, the fish stay there for about 45 days (most say to do the prazipro / general cure after copper but I've combined them without issue so that your pick).

People also put pvc pipes in there for the fish to hide in as rock can absorb copper. You can use sand if you put a wrasse in (just watch the copper level).

It sounds a bit more intimidating than it is, but the value of this is something that anyone who has had a tank wiped out by disease will tell you is inevitable.

If a QT setup is not possible, there are some other steps you can take to try and help

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back