Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got these clownfish and one of them seems to have an issue with its mouth. It looks a bit swollen and stuck open (maybe even a bit off white in colour). He’s behaving otherwise normal from what I can tell but definitely is having a hard time eating. Any clue on what this might be and if it’s treatable? I’ve attached a couple of pics for reference.

FFC80FB4-A5F0-4907-9566-B53BA7D95718.jpeg AD5749AF-EC74-4967-A897-CFF49130D157.jpeg DD442742-C74C-49F9-B9B9-BE8FB27C14D8.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I recently got these clownfish and one of them seems to have an issue with its mouth. It looks a bit swollen and stuck open (maybe even a bit off white in colour). He’s behaving otherwise normal from what I can tell but definitely is having a hard time eating. Any clue on what this might be and if it’s treatable? I’ve attached a couple of pics for reference.

View attachment 3031137 View attachment 3031138 View attachment 3031139
Fish either has lockjaw(which I doubt, gill flukes (which is possible) or may have swallowed an object it cant pass and has mouth opened to get maximum breathing.
Can you post a video of at least 15 sec to see if it it clearer what it may be?

OP
OP
M

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish either has lockjaw(which I doubt, gill flukes (which is possible) or may have swallowed an object it cant pass and has mouth opened to get maximum breathing.
Can you post a video of at least 15 sec to see if it it clearer what it may be?
Video posted in main thread

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Video posted in main thread
looks like something is lodged. Is the fish eating ?
if so brine shrimp may help in passing the object. Also netting it may cause it to spit up anything that may be the issue. I dont think its water or gill flukes based on behavior of other fish.
Also were you by chance feeding it pellets?
If fish were fighting as they often do, lockjaw may occur

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this being some mechanical issue - lockjaw or something caught in its mouth. Trouble is, there is a treatment for something like this…is the fish able to swallow some food?
Jay

OP
OP
M

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like something is lodged. Is the fish eating ?
if so brine shrimp may help in passing the object. Also netting it may cause it to spit up anything that may be the issue. I dont think its water or gill flukes based on behavior of other fish.
Also were you by chance feeding it pellets?
If fish were fighting as they often do, lockjaw may occur
Pellets, yes! I bought some very small pellet food with the fish. They didn’t seem to love them and they’d try to eat them but spit them out (very hard little things that didn’t seem to soften up very easily). I’ve now been feeding them freeze dried mysis shrimp for the last few days. Both fish seem to get more excited for that food. Now that you mention it I didn’t notice the mouth issue until after I fed them pellets.

OP
OP
M

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this being some mechanical issue - lockjaw or something caught in its mouth. Trouble is, there is a treatment for something like this…is the fish able to swallow some food?
Jay
It’s definitely having difficulty. It will go to surface when food is floating but won’t visibly bite at the food. I believe I’ve seen it catch food in its gaping mouth when it’s floating in the water column but can’t be sure it’s been able to swallow. Wonder if I chase him around the tank a bit to get him moving quickly if that could dislodge whatever is the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely having difficulty. It will go to surface when food is floating but won’t visibly bite at the food. I believe I’ve seen it catch food in its gaping mouth when it’s floating in the water column but can’t be sure it’s been able to swallow. Wonder if I chase him around the tank a bit to get him moving quickly if that could dislodge whatever is the issue.

Maybe - you could also try catching it and see if you can see and remove any blockage.

Jay

OP
OP
M

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe - you could also try catching it and see if you can see and remove any blockage.

Jay
I chased him around a little bit using a net but wasn’t able to catch him to take a closer look. Turns out I should have been more careful about how many rock crevices there were when aquascaping lol. I also tried feeding some brine shrimp to see if it might coax him into eating. Basically there has been no change (maybe the pale white colour has gotten worse?). I’ve taken a little more video to look at but wondering if there is any other treatable ailments I should try treating? These are the only fish in the tank and I don’t have a QT yet. If there was anything I could add to the DT as a shotgun approach I’m wondering if it would be worth a try.

BRS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chased him around a little bit using a net but wasn’t able to catch him to take a closer look. Turns out I should have been more careful about how many rock crevices there were when aquascaping lol. I also tried feeding some brine shrimp to see if it might coax him into eating. Basically there has been no change (maybe the pale white colour has gotten worse?). I’ve taken a little more video to look at but wondering if there is any other treatable ailments I should try treating? These are the only fish in the tank and I don’t have a QT yet. If there was anything I could add to the DT as a shotgun approach I’m wondering if it would be worth a try.
Sorry, I don’t have any other ideas, maybe somebody else will chime in.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back