Clown aggressive towards royal gramma

Richardb001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I currently have an aggression issue with my male clown he’s around 2”, he and my female are the original inhabitants of my 30g tank. They are currently housed with a Springeri Damsel and a yellow watchman goby that they get along fine with. 4 days ago, I added a royal gramma. When I first put the royal in it hid under some rocks then eventually came out and began to swim around. The next morning when lights came on the royal came out and was swimming around until my clown decided to chase it. The royal found a hole in the rocks above the cave my clowns have claimed and has been hiding out there. My male clown has been circling the rock trying to get into the spot where the royal is like a killer whale hunting a seal. The clowns determination to get in to where the royal is has diminished a bit over the past few days but it still trying. I have only seen the royal dart out of the hole once to grab a piece of mysis and quickly go back in. I am spot feeding it currently, but I can’t see if it eating the food I’m giving it. I have 2 tanks set up and plumed to the same sump, the 30g which I’m currently stocking and a 75g that has sand and scape but is currently not stocked, I plan to do this when the 30g is full. I tried the mirror trick to see if that would distract the clown and take his attention away from the royal but it doesn’t seem to have helped. My thought right now is to take the male out and put him in an isolation box in the 75g and hopefully the royal will come out and get comfortable. But I’m unsure if this is a good idea, if it will do more harm than good or have any impact at all. If I do take the male out, should I also remove the female? How long should I wait until I try to reintroduce the clowns to the 30g? Or are there any other things that I could do to possibly help reduce the aggression. I have read that royals can be timid and hide often but I’m concerned that the royal will starve to death in the rocks. Any ideas would be appreciated.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - a few options for you.

• re-arrange the rockwork so that fish are forced to re-establish territory
  • capture the aggressive clown and keep him in a breeder box for 1-2 weeks so he can calm down and learn to accept the newcomer without being able to attack him
  • Remove the royal gramma and return

Best of luck, let us know if you have any other questions!

OP
OP
R

Richardb001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - a few options for you.

• re-arrange the rockwork so that fish are forced to re-establish territory
  • capture the aggressive clown and keep him in a breeder box for 1-2 weeks so he can calm down and learn to accept the newcomer without being able to attack him
  • Remove the royal gramma and return

Best of luck, let us know if you have any other questions!
Thanks for the reply and the help. I think the best option for set up would be to put the fish in a breeder box. The way i bult my scape would make moving the rocks difficult and i don't think i will be able to get the royal gramma out with the clown in there. For the breeder box method should i put the breeder box in the 30g with the other fish so that they get accustomed to seeing each other or isolated in my empty 75g?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and the help. I think the best option for set up would be to put the fish in a breeder box. The way i bult my scape would make moving the rocks difficult and i don't think i will be able to get the royal gramma out with the clown in there. For the breeder box method should i put the breeder box in the 30g with the other fish so that they get accustomed to seeing each other or isolated in my empty 75g?
I would keep the breeder box in the same tank so the fish can get accustomed to each other in a safe way.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for reference, I have had to do this myself and it worked fine. When I added my yellow tang, my coral beauty angel chose violence nonstop. I had to capture the coral beauty and keep her in the breeder box for 10 days, after which the aggression was quelled.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back