+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

making my first batch of saltwater as im just starting to set up my tank. Made rodi water and put this in my tank since i didnt have a 50 gall brute. I just added instant ocean salt yesterday, no heater, and had 3 pumps on to help mix the water. Adding the salt made the water very cloudy. Kept mixing with the pumps overnight but it still looks a bit cloudy this morning? (Havent added anything else yet...just made saltwater)
I know with adding the sand and rocks, itll get cloudy again anyways, and will do a large water change after cycling is done, but is this something to be concerned about? Should i now heat the water? The instructions on the bucket doesnt say anything about the temp of the water. My salinity is at 1.024. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Devan Patel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

making my first batch of saltwater as im just starting to set up my tank. Made rodi water and put this in my tank since i didnt have a 50 gall brute. I added instant ocean salt yesterday, no heater, and had 3 pumps on to help mix the water. Adding the salt made the water very cloudy. Kept mixing with the pumps overnight but it still looks a bit cloudy this morning? I know with adding the sand and rocks, itll get cloudy again anyways, and will do a large water change after cycling is done, but is this something to be concerned about? Should i now heat the water? The instructions on the bucket doesnt say anything about the temp of the water. My salinity is at 1.024. Thank you for your help!
just let it do its thing

Upvote 0

Daddio64

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo harder to mix in large quantities. It'll be fine to start heating. I typically just do 3 gallons at a time and add. Easier to mix in a 5 gal pale, just stick my arm in and mix I can tip the bucket a bit to smash any clumps. I think you be ok especially since you have added substrate, you think it's cloudy now it'll really be cloudy after. Should've done substrate first then put a bowl in to pour water on top of so doesn't stir up so much. Good luck and enjoy, your heart will!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
memorylapse

memorylapse

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo harder to mix in large quantities. It'll be fine to start heating. I typically just do 3 gallons at a time and add. Easier to mix in a 5 gal pale, just stick my arm in and mix I can tip the bucket a bit to smash any clumps. I think you be ok especially since you have added substrate, you think it's cloudy now it'll really be cloudy after. Should've done substrate first then put a bowl in to pour water on top of so doesn't stir up so much. Good luck and enjoy, your heart will!
Thank you! Ya i know i shouldve done substrate first but just didnt have that large/many buckets to make the saltwater. But its on my list to buy a larger bucket thatll help me with making extra/emergency saltwater and another for rodi water. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

Daddio64

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I'm only a 100 gal. I have 6 - 3 and 1- 5 gal bottles I keep on hand unmixed. A lot of times your add water will be without salt as it evaporates the salt stays and goes up. I don't keep them all filled cause I run my r/o to the fridge and just d/I with a different spigot when I'm making tank water. My holding tank is only 4 gallons and I get yelled at when family can't get water cause it's empty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
memorylapse

memorylapse

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I'm only a 100 gal. I have 6 - 3 and 1- 5 gal bottles I keep on hand unmixed. A lot of times your add water will be without salt as it evaporates the salt stays and goes up. I don't keep them all filled cause I run my r/o to the fridge and just d/I with a different spigot when I'm making tank water. My holding tank is only 4 gallons and I get yelled at when family can't get water cause it's empty
Ohhhh ok! Thanks! Yes I just have 2, 5gal and 1, 10gal bucket at the moment. My tank is only 60 gal. Also realized thats prob good enough as long as i make small batches of saltwater. Lesson learned!
That sounds convenient though making water using the fridge. Mines in the laundry room, near the garage so i need to lug those buckets to the living room which is on the other end of the house

Upvote 0

Daddio64

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do make the tank water in the basement. I have a few valves I switch over, the r/o tastes good we don't like the r/o-d/I for drinking it tastes more chemically. I get 6 tds reading on the drinking water, 0 on the tank and 130 at the tap.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back