Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a a bad case of cyano in my reef tank. My system is a little over 4 years old. Some of my rock works have a sludge built up on it. I want to pull the rock from the tank and hose it off then return it to the tank. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a a bad case of cyano in my reef tank. My system is a little over 4 years old. Some of my rock works have a sludge built up on it. I want to pull the rock from the tank and hose it off then return it to the tank. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You sure can and then add some denitrifying bacteria to your tank at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily for 2 weeks to help re-seed

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to hose it off with tap water?
It is unlikely you will kill all cyanobacteria this way as they are ubiquitous and will hide somwhere in nooks anc crannies of live rock.
I would take the rock out and give it a good scrub with saltwater and also analyze what conditions caused outbreak of cyano-low flow, high nutrients, light spectrum, etc.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to hose it off with tap water?
It is unlikely you will kill all cyanobacteria this way as they are ubiquitous and will hide somwhere in nooks anc crannies of live rock.
I would take the rock out and give it a good scrub with saltwater and also analyze what conditions caused outbreak of cyano-low flow, high nutrients, light spectrum, etc.
The cyano pretty much stopped but I think the way I have my rock work water flow is the problem. I’m going to reduce the amount of rock see if that will increase flow. For the most part I have a lot of trapped gunk on my rocks. Thank you for the advice

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back