View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually before vaccines people died of disease. And they still didn’t eat guts

Maybe that's why they died :rolleyes:

And people are not fish. Duck Billed Platypuses' eat almost nothing but worms, Panda's eat nothing but Bamboo, Aardvarks eat ants, loggerhead turtles eat jellyfish and Supermodels may eat an M&M but all species are supposed to eat certain things. Fish are supposed to eat whole fish, bones, guts and all. But if you want to feed your fish something else. That's fine, but your fish probably hate you. :D

@MnFish1 you do love to debate don't you? :) I mean that in all goodnatured fun.
But how to you argue a point with that rebuttal? LOL

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millennials I know about as I have a Daughter and Son N Law who are Snowflakes. I just don't get it. :cool:
I was a working guy and I fly an American Flag so I would never be a snowflake. I am also a combat Veteran, another thing snowflakes would never be. :rolleyes:

Avast

Da8

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten years in hobbie and never tried to feed them with clam...

And it make sense to me everything you told from the live bacteria to the adding something more than only muscle to the feeding and the fact I only feed mysys.
Sometimes I'm afraid is nothing more than shell...

Have no problem in buying fresh clams.

If I just want to prepare one a day, how do I proceed?

Just open it, blend and to the tank ??

Or is it advisable to do it in another way ?

Thank you

hubcap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't parooze the whole thread, cuz wifey is taking me to the bar...er...I mean, lunch.

But, mussels are prevalent in our area....
Ever try them out? I can harvest them, literally, by the 5lb bundle. Wire brush to get the beards off and feed live or freeze....

Thoughts?

Hopefully I get to read a response when I come home fat, drunk, and happy.

(great thread, and topic.)

-cap

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Shellfish it is! Btw I feed oyster feast (for corals)and that just crashes the tank with algae, guessing its mostly juices so have to limit to once a week

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mussels are also great food but a lot smaller.
For the clams, if they are big, just freeze them alive and shave off thin pieces. If the clams are small, freeze them and chop them into bite size pieces. You can cut them up live but they are hard to cut that way. I would not put them in the blender because most of the clam is lost as mush.

OllieNZ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we do with cooked food and no guts? Humans I mean.

We don't...... just look at the amount of dietary supplements available to combat poor health..... ;)

Seriously though there's a combination of factors, a big one is different dietary requirements to other animals, for example feeding dogs and cats a "human" diet can lead to poor health pretty quickly. Another is the variety of food in our diets, don't wan't to get your vitamin A from liver? Just eat carrots instead.....

Have you come across Rabbit starvation? It's what happens when humans eat only very lean meat, ie rabbit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't...... just look at the amount of dietary supplements available to combat poor health..... ;)

Seriously though there's a combination of factors, a big one is different dietary requirements to other animals, for example feeding dogs and cats a "human" diet can lead to poor health pretty quickly. Another is the variety of food in our diets, don't wan't to get your vitamin A from liver? Just eat carrots instead.....

Have you come across Rabbit starvation? It's what happens when humans eat only very lean meat, ie rabbit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
Yes. I agree with most everything you say. A balanced diet is certainly important. I’m just not sure that live bacteria in the food is part of the equation. There is live bacteria swimming throughout our reef tanks they are not a sterile bubble

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not sure that live bacteria in the food is part of the equation. There is live bacteria swimming throughout our reef tanks they are not a sterile bubble

MNFish, of course there are bacteria everywhere, but the type of bacteria fish need, besides normal, benign bacteria are disease causing bacteria and parasites. Regular bacteria is needed for fish, and us to digest food but to stay healthy and immune we need disease causing bacteria. A fishes immune system, or ours can not become immune from anything if they are not in contact with those bacteria occasionally. Thats why we get shots for measles, whooping cough, polio, flu etc.

Fish eat disease causing bacteria, worms and parasites with every meal and they were designed to do that. That is also the reason we don't see any very old tanks that were quarantined. Those fish have no immunity and any disease they encounter could kill them. Like the boy in the bubble.
If we get cancer (God Forbid) and the Doctors have to destroy our immune system, we have to stay in a sterile place with no people coming to visit us because even a common cold can kill us in that state.

I played Santa for many years in a Children's cancer hospital where most of the kids had no immunity. I could not go into those rooms for fear I would infect them with just about anything.
Normal, healthy people are exposed to disease causing bacteria every day. I rode the New York Subway system for 45 years and no one cleans those handrails. I rarely got sick but I am sure there is every disease imaginable there.

250mixreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank inhabitants have been doing very well on spectrum pellets and a CPL times a week lrs fish frenzy( pror to lrs frozen cube). My yellow tang is 12+ yrs old and other fish following closely behind. Athough I've never seen him smile he's very happy to see me when when I approach the tank. Over the yrs I've tried many different kinds of food and haven't really noticed a difference in any of them. I'm sure certain fish require a specialized approach to acclimate them to aquarium life. I'm sure fresh mollusks are good for our fish but IMO not really necessary.
Pls correct me if I am wrong but I thought shellfish was very high in cholesterol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MNFish, of course there are bacteria everywhere, but the type of bacteria fish need, besides normal, benign bacteria are disease causing bacteria and parasites. Regular bacteria is needed for fish, and us to digest food but to stay healthy and immune we need disease causing bacteria. A fishes immune system, or ours can not become immune from anything if they are not in contact with those bacteria occasionally. Thats why we get shots for measles, whooping cough, polio, flu etc.

Fish eat disease causing bacteria, worms and parasites with every meal and they were designed to do that. That is also the reason we don't see any very old tanks that were quarantined. Those fish have no immunity and any disease they encounter could kill them. Like the boy in the bubble.
If we get cancer (God Forbid) and the Doctors have to destroy our immune system, we have to stay in a sterile place with no people coming to visit us because even a common cold can kill us in that state.

I played Santa for many years in a Children's cancer hospital where most of the kids had no immunity. I could not go into those rooms for fear I would infect them with just about anything.
Normal, healthy people are exposed to disease causing bacteria every day. I rode the New York Subway system for 45 years and no one cleans those handrails. I rarely got sick but I am sure there is every disease imaginable there.
With all due respect. You have no evidence for anything you say here. But you have experience. Which counts for a lot. The problem is there is no reason to believe (unless antibiotics are used) that any living being loses its bacteria over time. If you can point me there. Well. All good. There is simply no evidence that continuing to provide guts or bacteria makes any difference

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank inhabitants have been doing very well on spectrum pellets and a CPL times a week lrs fish frenzy( pror to lrs frozen cube). My yellow tang is 12+ yrs old and other fish following closely behind. Athough I've never seen him smile he's very happy to see me when when I approach the tank. Over the yrs I've tried many different kinds of food and haven't really noticed a difference in any of them. I'm sure certain fish require a specialized approach to acclimate them to aquarium life. I'm sure fresh mollusks are good for our fish but IMO not really necessary.
Pls correct me if I am wrong but I thought shellfish was very high in cholesterol.
Are they spawning?

Nutramar Foods

250mixreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls don't misunderstand me I'm sure fresh shellfish is a great food. I just don't think it's necessary with the availability of quality foods at our our fingertips. I'm also a very busy person and don't have time to prepare meals like this for my fish

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back