Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my corals look great. And to state I have over 200 heads of euphyilla but every once in a while I lose a head here and there. Sometimes the corals been in tank for a while too

was thinking of siding the tank with cipro.
mare there any corals that show an adverse affect with it
What should I look out for
Any advice would be helpful

T-J

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you take a chance to treat for something that you don't even know is actually there?
If you have over 200 heads, and you only lose 1 or 2, then you are talking about 1-2% of all your corals...which is nothing.
My advice: don't treat with cipro. You don't seem to have an issue. You also didn't say that it appeared that the heads died from BJD.

AquaCave Logo Banner

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every doctor and epidemiologist from every country would not like this trend reefers have been up to / Cipro for any reason, especially without lab-matched ID to the intended target. due to the web though/doesn't matter they can still access. I don't doubt it works too, but the greater consequence might be more than a few corals lost given the rate that aquarists are adding it for all kinds of reasons.

cipro=make resistant strains of mrsa eventually and then someone's hand falls off.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a (human) doctor, I say, don't loose head over that issue.
Seriously, I do not advice adding Cipro. BTW, I have similar problem and every now and then my hammerhead looses head. I suspect some rascal hermits to contribute to issue. I banned some to sump.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how many times I think cipro should be used in reefing: never, for any reason, whatsoever.

save its use and the resulting evolutionary adjustment from microbes as reserved for human care or advanced veterinary care having nothing to do with water-holding systems. if a doc says to give cipro to a horse and writes out the scrip, do it. we should simply not have this in reefing at all, even if it works, it's all bad because aquarists did it.

if cipro is added to this reef, and a thousand more nothing bad is actually going to happen to the actual tanks. its the collective risk we're growing exponentially and it doesn't have good outcomes. anywhere it's dosed, evolutionary change in microbes begin, and what randomly becomes of that should not be by aquarists accelerating it at lightspeed. I don't believe it would harm this tank at all, and I do believe it has a fair chance of helping based on all the total cipro dosing threads/ability to turn around melting anemones etc.

I can turn around melting anemones just by having someone run a rip clean, blue up the lights and change feeding regimen; we'll never need cipro. we remove the bad/accumulated bacteria physically vs chemically and get the same results.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back