Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an odd question but I'm sure I'm not the only person who's thought of it.

I purchased aqua-cipro just in case I ever have BJD. I purchased it from Chewy. I was told it was the same as a Doctor would prescribe.

Yesterday my son was in shop class in school and got metal in his eye. We had to take him to the hospital and they prescribed an eye drop.
Rx CIPROFLOXACIN HCL. Is it the same thing as pill form? Once he's done with it could it be dosed to a dip for BJD?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciprofloxacin in any form has the same active ingredient, but may differ in other inactive ingredients, stabilizers etc. You don crush tablet and put it into your eye, but it works well for UTI or diarrhea. As a human doctor, I cannot tell you which form is most suitable for BJD treatment, I have a feeling that liquid form would be preferable.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Angry German

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro ophthalmic contains preservatives like Benzalkonium Chloride which is a type of ammonium cation surfactant and other inactive ingredients which I am not sure how that will affect aquarium inhabitants. Cipro pills have coatings usually made out of starch and also contains other inactive ingredients which should not be harmful since we and dogs/cats ingest these pills.
But the active ingredient ciprofloxacin is the same.
As far as benzalkoinum, it is used as an antibacterial preservative and disinfectant and in high dose respiratory inhalation can be toxic.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro ophthalmic contains preservatives like Benzalkonium Chloride which is a type of ammonium cation surfactant and other inactive ingredients which I am not sure how that will affect aquarium inhabitants. Cipro pills have coatings usually made out of starch and also contains other inactive ingredients which should not be harmful since we and dogs/cats ingest these pills.
But the active ingredient ciprofloxacin is the same.
As far as benzalkoinum, it is used as an antibacterial preservative and disinfectant and in high dose respiratory inhalation can be toxic.
Ah ok. I'll probably stick with the pill form being that I have it already I just thought I'd ask. I'm sure it would much more simple to dose a liquid than a solid but either way I'd want to take the safest route. Thank you everyone.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back