Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 chromis that have been together for several years. Earlier this week, one was hiding in a rock cave most of the time. Yesterday, it was swimming close to the glass, not having buoyancy problems, and not being blown around by the powerhead, but just "swimming weird" and not hanging with the other 2. It hasn't eaten since yesterday (that I've seen) and last night I put it in a small breeder box just so it could rest since it was constantly in motion. (I put some PVC fittings in with it).
This morning I let it out of the box hoping it would follow the others' lead and eat; it looked ok and was swimming with the other 2 but I didn't see it eat anything. I haven't seen any physical signs of injury or illness until this evening when I noticed this... It was hard to get a good photo but if you zoom in you can see there's something not right in the genital/anal region. (Had to use the flash, his overall color is fine)

PXL_20230526_015807079.jpg
Ideas?

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -- I netted him and put him back in the breeder box and now I don't see the "prolapse"... (Might have scared it back inside? Lol)
I doubt that's the long term solution though...

[HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]
@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

748S911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is going through something internal general cure/focus always works for my fish when they start pooping white stringy that they cant fully poop out. worth a try, cheap easy, and reef safe when mixed in with focus

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is going through something internal general cure/focus always works for my fish when they start pooping white stringy that they cant fully poop out. worth a try, cheap easy, and reef safe when mixed in with focus
Doesn't focus just help bind meds to food? Does it have to be used? I would treat outside my main tank, so reef safe isn't necessary.

Avast
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never used it like that, just mixed it in the pellets, one small focus scoop with same focus spoon I scoop general cure mixed it up with some ro/di water. Wait 30 min then feed all my fish.
He's not eating though.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never used it like that, just mixed it in the pellets, one small focus scoop with same focus spoon I scoop general cure mixed it up with some ro/di water. Wait 30 min then feed all my fish.
And what you're describing is "binding meds to food"...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if it works if its not eaten, from what i read awhile back it has to be eaten for parasitic control.
And that's my point.
I appreciate the suggestion but want to help the fish even if he won't eat medicated food...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -- I netted him and put him back in the breeder box and now I don't see the "prolapse"... (Might have scared it back inside? Lol)
I doubt that's the long term solution though...

[HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]
@Jay Hemdal

Do you know yet, if it started eating again today?

Prolapsed cloaca's are pretty rare, but there is an angelfish with one in another thread. Sometimes they retract on their own, but not often. Sometimes I think this is related to laying eggs. However, since this one is tied with not eating, that does open the possibility of internal protozoans. Hexamita / Spironucleous are protozoans normally found in fish guts. If their numbers get too high, they can become a disease. The best treatment is metronidazole at 0.50% in food with a binder (but you CANNOT just mix some with focus, you won't get the dose right). The second best treatment would be General Cure or Metroplex in a treatment tank.

If the fish starts eating again, I wouldn't try treating it.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know yet, if it started eating again today?

Prolapsed cloaca's are pretty rare, but there is an angelfish with one in another thread. Sometimes they retract on their own, but not often. Sometimes I think this is related to laying eggs. However, since this one is tied with not eating, that does open the possibility of internal protozoans. Hexamita / Spironucleous are protozoans normally found in fish guts. If their numbers get too high, they can become a disease. The best treatment is metronidazole at 0.50% in food with a binder (but you CANNOT just mix some with focus, you won't get the dose right). The second best treatment would be General Cure or Metroplex in a treatment tank.

If the fish starts eating again, I wouldn't try treating it.

Jay
Thank you for the reply. No, it's not eating yet...

I'm sure you've previously posted instructions for metronidazole at 0.50% in food with a binder; can you point me to where I can find these?

Also, while I'm not inclined to take extraordinary measures since it will potentially cause more harm than good, would you recommend an attempt at force feeding/tube feeding? I believe I have the appropriate supplies...

Thanks again for your help.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1

I'm sure you've previously posted instructions for metronidazole at 0.50% in food with a binder; can you point me to where I can find these?

Also, while I'm not inclined to take extraordinary measures since it will potentially cause more harm than good, would you recommend an attempt at force feeding/tube feeding? I believe I have the appropriate supplies...

Sorry I can’t be of help here and sorry you’re going through this but I have to applaud you for how much you care for your fish. Hoping for a recovery!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can’t be of help here and sorry you’re going through this but I have to applaud you for how much you care for your fish. Hoping for a recovery!
Thanks. If it starts to show major distress I'll euthanize it, but for now would like to do what I reasonably can to help it.

It is "just a chromis" after all... but another factor is that I have 3 which as I mentioned have been together for years - if one dies I wonder if this might upset the balance and the other 2 will turn on each other...?

Top Shelf Aquatics

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Yes most people would say “it’s just a chromis” but it says a lot about your character!

Let’s go little guy!!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most people would say “it’s just a chromis” but it says a lot about your character!

Let’s go little guy!!
Yeah, that's just not how I roll, too much time in animal rescue, lol!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is my post on medicated foods:

Here is another post that contains a med food calculator:

Here is my article on tube-feeding fish:

So - now that you are completely swamped with data, what to do?

Tube feeding works best on larger fish that have a known and rectifiable cause for them not eating. Smaller fish are tougher to tube-feed, and if you can't correct the original problem, tube-feeding only prolongs things. However, there is something to be said for tube-feeding medication - in this case the oral metronidazole.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back