Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm relatively new to the hobby. I have 3 blue green chromis and one of them is constantly getting picked on. I'm noticing marks on his / her sides now. I feel bad for the little guy. Is there anything that I can do to help him?
They will often times pick on the weakest of the bunch. I know ppl recommend to keep them in odd pairs. We’re they from the same place and same tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In large aquariums it has been observed to be able to keep them as a group or small school, but more often than not, they all eventually end up killing each other, specifically in smaller aquariums.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. My LFS
That is a good thing. It really just depends on the situation and tank size. Make sure enough rocks for places to hide in, and be ready to remove and rehome if bullying doesn’t stop. I have 2 in my 125 and they get along well with each other

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty typical with chromis. They frequently will pick each other off until only 1 is left (similar to tiger barbs if you have any freshwater experience). This is often mitigated with a large school, but your tank size and stocking really determines how big you can go.

Nutramar Foods

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll most likely end up with one. At least that has been my experience. On two seperate occasions I added groups of 7 all at once. Both times I ended up with a single one. These were both 6ft tanks, a 150g and 180g with lots of rock for hiding.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a bunch of these in a little while ago and quite economical for tropical saltwater fish. I looked them up and saw they supposedly school. They’ve got a staff of five, asked the guy there who seems more invested in having aquariums work for the fish. His answer more or less:

“You could get five, and in six months you’ll have one. We put five in this tank here *gestured to large tank* and ended up with three and then they started killing other fish. So we moved them to the giant tank *took to view* where they’re half the size of the next smallest fish and they’re still jerks to everything else in there. I wish we didn’t get them in here but that’s not my call”

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've had best luck adding them at the end when #s is their only defense. They're a lot less likely to attack each other and stay in a group when they're staring at four tangs among others.
They were the last ones I added.

Nutramar Foods

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll most likely end up with one. At least that has been my experience. On two seperate occasions I added groups of 7 all at once. Both times I ended up with a single one. These were both 6ft tanks, a 150g and 180g with lots of rock for hiding.
This. I did the same thing in my 150g. Added them after i already had 20 fish and they killed each other until there was one. Was weird cuz half the time i couldnt find the missing ones like they ate them. But got down to just one.

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I did the same thing in my 150g. Added them after i already had 20 fish and they killed each other until there was one. Was weird cuz half the time i couldnt find the missing ones like they ate them. But got down to just one.
This is unfortunate. Why then do people recommend more than one?

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with 7 chromis that is half an inch long in a 210gal. They were all loving each others. A year later, they grow to a inches and half and they start picking on each others from time to time but so far no one died yet :). Once in the blue mood, one of the 7 will pick on the power blue tang, and the tang will give them good a lesson ;)

CLICK TO VIEW

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've had best luck adding them at the end when #s is their only defense. They're a lot less likely to attack each other and stay in a group when they're staring at four tangs among others.
Mine were the last group of fish to add in too. All 7 live and no one died yet ;) They were in my 210 over a year and they double the size.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with 7 chromis that is half an inch long in a 210gal. They were all loving each others. A year later, they grow to a inches and half and they start picking on each others from time to time but so far no one died yet :). Once in the blue mood, one of the 7 will pick on the power blue tang, and the tang will give them good a lesson ;)
I wonder if the key is getting them smaller and let them mature together :thinking-face: All of the ones I added were larger probably 1.25 inches maybe even 1. 5
I I may try them again if I find a group of small ones like you started with.

Graemesreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were the last group of fish to add in too. All 7 live and no one died yet ;) They were in my 210 over a year and they double the size.
Tank size is probably the problem for most? But now it has me wondering if one sex is more aggressive than the other? No way to tell but maybe thats why some have better luck than others. I wish they were still 2 bucks lol.

Corals.com

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is probably the problem for most? But now it has me wondering if one sex is more aggressive than the other? No way to tell but maybe thats why some have better luck than others. I wish they were still 2 bucks lol.
To me, they are still beautful fish for the amount of money we paid for. I totally agree with the tank size. Each one of my chromis has it own cave to stay in and sleeping at night.

Attachments

• 20230124_184546.jpg
    20230124_184546.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 16

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the key is getting them smaller and let them mature together :thinking-face: All of the ones I added were larger probably 1.25 inches maybe even 1. 5
I I may try them again if I find a group of small ones like you started with.
When they are small, they are very peaceful and always schooling together . I never see them chasing/picking on others until they are over 1.5 inch long.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back