Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chromis have been in QT for about a week and a half medicated with Copper Power. I had 5, but one got picked at and died shortly after introduction to the QT. The other 4 eat like pigs and I feed them frequently to lower the amount of aggression in the small quarters. I bought these guys from Live Aquaria, and unfortunately, one is quite a bit bigger than the others, so he’s a bit bossier. Another issue I’ve faced is that the ammonia for these fish in the 10 gallon QT rises quickly, which has forced me to do much more frequent water changes. Even after a 100% water change, within 24 hours, ammonia is up to 0.5 ppm!

Anyway, to get to the point, I have noticed for about a week now a very faint and very small orange spot by the tail underneath the scales on the largest Chromis. This has not changed in size or color. This morning, however, I noticed a slightly larger spot under the scales behind his fin as seen below.

6E10A2D9-B10D-4A18-ACD0-4B4EEC62A3BC.jpeg

When I had first noticed the spot by the tail, the smallest Chromis was exhibiting a few elevated scales behind his Gil, but after a 100% water change, by a couple days later, it was gone, and remains gone. He does, however, demonstrate the splotchy coloration (especially in dim lighting) that is characteristic of sleeping or stressed green Chromis from my experience.

Ultimately, I am trying to figure out if this is Uronema or just stress caused by the rapid fluctuations in ammonia. I’ve been utilizing Prime to help detoxify it, and fortunately, the CO2 I’m my home is a bit high, so the pH stays down.

I would think that if it were Uronema, the splotches on the big Chromis would have gotten worse by now and the elevated scales on the small Chromis would have been infected if it were present. Let me know what you all think. I am set to do a 100% change this evening. As an aside, I follow the BRS/Marine Collectors 80/20 QT, but without the Formalin.

Nutramar Foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some very good information provided by @Jay Hemdal which I believe is applicable.

Post in thread 'Uronema on blue/green chromis?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-on-blue-green-chromis.954395/post-10867343
I saw this thread. The biggest difference here is that this individual lost half of his fish within 6 days of introducing them. I’ve only lost 1/5, and no hugely notable issues have occurred since other than what I have stated above. Copper treatment is scheduled to be done Wednesday or Thursday, so I can just observe them without for a while.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct - and I don't see something looking like uronema. I would continue to watch closely. If you can get a picture - or put an arrow on the area you're concerned about that could also help?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chromis have been in QT for about a week and a half medicated with Copper Power. I had 5, but one got picked at and died shortly after introduction to the QT. The other 4 eat like pigs and I feed them frequently to lower the amount of aggression in the small quarters. I bought these guys from Live Aquaria, and unfortunately, one is quite a bit bigger than the others, so he’s a bit bossier. Another issue I’ve faced is that the ammonia for these fish in the 10 gallon QT rises quickly, which has forced me to do much more frequent water changes. Even after a 100% water change, within 24 hours, ammonia is up to 0.5 ppm!

Anyway, to get to the point, I have noticed for about a week now a very faint and very small orange spot by the tail underneath the scales on the largest Chromis. This has not changed in size or color. This morning, however, I noticed a slightly larger spot under the scales behind his fin as seen below.

View attachment 3010276

When I had first noticed the spot by the tail, the smallest Chromis was exhibiting a few elevated scales behind his Gil, but after a 100% water change, by a couple days later, it was gone, and remains gone. He does, however, demonstrate the splotchy coloration (especially in dim lighting) that is characteristic of sleeping or stressed green Chromis from my experience.

Ultimately, I am trying to figure out if this is Uronema or just stress caused by the rapid fluctuations in ammonia. I’ve been utilizing Prime to help detoxify it, and fortunately, the CO2 I’m my home is a bit high, so the pH stays down.

I would think that if it were Uronema, the splotches on the big Chromis would have gotten worse by now and the elevated scales on the small Chromis would have been infected if it were present. Let me know what you all think. I am set to do a 100% change this evening. As an aside, I follow the BRS/Marine Collectors 80/20 QT, but without the Formalin.
Uronema is not super contagious between fish. I don’t think this is that given the longer time frame - Uronema usually erupts through the skin by now.
Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I too see nothing that jumps out suggesting disease or other condition. Best prevention is to maintain good water quality and diet. Feed more than pellets often suggested by LFS. Brine shrimp, LRS nano frenzy are good additions

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct - and I don't see something looking like uronema. I would continue to watch closely. If you can get a picture - or put an arrow on the area you're concerned about that could also help?
They are extremely pale flesh-toned spots, well underneath the skin. Unfortunately, this was the best picture I could get. Also, they don’t show up on camera well lol.

F162F2EA-C472-4454-BF1A-F0035CD3D32F.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too see nothing that jumps out suggesting disease or other condition. Best prevention is to maintain good water quality and diet. Feed more than pellets often suggested by LFS. Brine shrimp, LRS nano frenzy are good additions
I have a varied diet for them (frozen mix, calanus rehydrated with selcon). Biggest thing is fighting ammonia. They are supposed to leave QT soon. Perhaps clean water is what they need!

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the red spots also, but Uronema doesn’t linger - you see a slight red spot and then like the next day the lesion has erupted through the skin.
Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking ammonia burns, the fish look really good otherwise.
Jay
Cool. Well, they will be deemed clean after today, so they should be in tomorrow! That will probably help! Thanks everyone for your opinions! Would hate to infect the DT!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking ammonia burns, the fish look really good otherwise.
Jay
Just an update: the Chromis are in the DT and are doing great! Now that they have been in a couple days, and because the lighting is better, I wanted to show a better picture of that spot. It hasn’t seemed to get any better, but also not any worse.

26AE3A64-E30B-4B4C-92C3-60DD279335CC.jpeg

Still think it’s from ammonia?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: the Chromis are in the DT and are doing great! Now that they have been in a couple days, and because the lighting is better, I wanted to show a better picture of that spot. It hasn’t seemed to get any better, but also not any worse.

View attachment 3016983
Still think it’s from ammonia?
Not sure - Uronema very unlikely by now, but even ammonia burns should have healed by now. At least this doesn’t seem to be worsening.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back