Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally chipped my new tank doing a water change. The chip is on the front, outside, rim of the tank. I contacted the manufacturer and they said the chip won’t impact the tank’s integrity, but aesthetically looks terrible! I’m sick over doing this. Any ideas on what I could do? I’m not sure I could stare at this every day for the next several years.

8274B5A7-AA43-4436-81BE-0AFBF7E0AD76.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

SudzFD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally chipped my new tank doing a water change. The chip is on the front, outside, rim of the tank. I contacted the manufacturer and they said the chip won’t impact the tank’s integrity, but aesthetically looks terrible! I’m sick over doing this. Any ideas on what I could do? I’m not sure I could stare at this every day for the next several years.

View attachment 2535142
Could you add a plastic trim piece. Kind of like a traditional aquarium? Something like that to hide it? It’s a bummer, like when I scratched my new acrylic tank with a piece of sand in my algae scrubber.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
CLICK TO VIEW

Vagabond

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

View attachment 2535142Not sure if their's anything that can be done to fix that.I scratched my new reefer 170 while doing the aquascape.Somebody wrote on here that once you get corals growing and building a beautiful reef,it won't bother you as much.Hope that's the case for you.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you zoom out to just have some perspective on how much of a visual issue take is? Also, how big is the tank?

I’m pretty ocd about this kind of stuff but I’d just completely try to hide it with some plastic trim or maybe even a sticker.

If we’re talking a 100-200 dollar tank that isn’t full of stuff then I’d swap it.

OP
OP
S

sdjoe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz It’s a Waterbox 90. Chip is about the size of a penny. It’s not huge but of course in a super visible spot. I may just need to live with it but hate the idea of stocking the tank and then having this drive me nuts for the life of the tank. I’m pretty OCD about this type of thing too.

Thanks all for the ideas! I’m going to look into some sort of trim.

Nutramar Foods

SudzFD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz It’s a Waterbox 90. Chip is about the size of a penny. It’s not huge but of course in a super visible spot. I may just need to live with it but hate the idea of stocking the tank and then having this drive me nuts for the life of the tank. I’m pretty OCD about this type of thing too.

Thanks all for the ideas! I’m going to look into some sort of trim.
A clear plastic piece like this would likely hide it while keeping the same look.

Attachments

• 5C578C1B-5B28-4E69-807B-0CD7CC870C01.png
    5C578C1B-5B28-4E69-807B-0CD7CC870C01.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 50

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages any idea on a filler or anything? Maybe a trim?

@sdjoe i’m actually really curious how you chipped it like that?
oh my... this is tough. @sdjoe so sorry for this mishap. ouch.

I am not aware of any type of cosmetic fix. if this happens in the shop, we rebuild or replace. no repairs.

Just thinking out loud here, Safelite? maybe they could offer up a filler of some type. I have seen them do this one windshields. Just a thought. dont laugh at me......wish I could offer up more.

Nutramar Foods

MichaelP

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing on my custom rimless 150g when I set it up. It sucks but what I found overtime is that you get splashes/water and salt creep marks along the top and it tends to blend in.

so I don’t think you will notice it once it has been setup and running for a while

Top Shelf Aquatics

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored It really was dumb on my part. I was using a glass pitcher to transfer fresh saltwater into the tank because the pump I bought for water changes wasn’t strong enough. I bumped the edge and this was the result.
oh man. that's a tough one!
i don't have a solution short of either replacing the front panel of glass or replacing the display.
for next time, if the pump isn't pulling the water a little siphon to start the pull goes a long way.

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same thing happened to me while setting up Red Sea 3XXL - using glass measuring cup no less. It really upset me at the time, even considered replacing tank. Fast forward two years, and until I read this post I had forgotten about it. As other post have said, with salt creep, water line marks, and coraline algea every were, it becomes part of the background. You wont notice it no matter how much it catches your eye now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back