+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I live in Arizona and it's already getting hot, so it looks like I'm going to need a chiller for the spring/summer... I have a 150g/40g tank/sump, but of course with rock and gear and such, it's probably more like 130g/30g...

My house runs 80-85 and my tank at 78-79... no chiller isn't going to be an option.

I'm looking at the JBJ and trying to decide which size.

I know everyone's setup is unique, but I wanted to get a feel for what size you're using? Ideally someone who has a 120-180g for rough comparison sake.

I used one of the calculators online and it's saying 1/5HP is enough, but obviously I don't want to way undershoot the power needed. But those chillers are so darn expensive. :)

I can't imagine fans on the tank/sump can cool it down to 78-79 from 85 can they?

Any thoughts/experience/recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

clsanchez77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What calculator did you use?

The Hamzas Reef one is complicated, but covers all the basis:
https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

You can not only use this to size a chiller, but with some reverse engineering, you can back into evaporation cooling and different air speeds. In Arizona, evaporative cooling will be incredibly useful. In Louisiana, that is a lot more limiting.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans can do a lot more than you would think, and can drop the tank several degrees below ambient temperature if used effectively.

I use a 1/5 HP chiller on my 180g (350g system volume) and that is even with the sump, frag tank, and fuge in the garage where ambient temps can get to 90 degrees. Used the same chiller in the last house with a smaller water volume (250g system) but that setup had 100% of the system volume in the garage with ambient temp up to 90 degrees. Both of these systems also used fans.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans can do a lot more than you would think, and can drop the tank several degrees below ambient temperature if used effectively.

I use a 1/5 HP chiller on my 180g (350g system volume) and that is even with the sump, frag tank, and fuge in the garage where ambient temps can get to 90 degrees. Used the same chiller in the last house with a smaller water volume (250g system) but that setup had 100% of the system volume in the garage with ambient temp up to 90 degrees. Both of these systems also used fans.

Interesting... I am looking at the GHL fans to be controlled with my Profilux system, so maybe I'll give that a shot first.

Regard the chiller, is the monthly electricity cost as expensive as everyone says?

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What calculator did you use?

The Hamzas Reef one is complicated, but covers all the basis:
https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

You can not only use this to size a chiller, but with some reverse engineering, you can back into evaporation cooling and different air speeds. In Arizona, evaporative cooling will be incredibly useful. In Louisiana, that is a lot more limiting.

I used the JBJ calculator - That Hanza one was a bit overwhelming. :)

I'm going to try some fans and see what that does for me.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regard the chiller, is the monthly electricity cost as expensive as everyone says?

No, I’ve never understood this. 1/5 HP is only 150 watts, and it’s only using that much power intermittently when actively cooling (unlike your pumps or lights that run all day or for 8-12 hours at a time). I run a ton more wattage in heating than cooling.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DuckSlayer627

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in South Louisiana and it gets HOT down here in the summer. House can easily be 78-80 degrees. I have a 120 with a 30 or so gallon sump, 2 400wt Metal Halides and use a 1/4 hp JBJ chiller. Chiller will run for about an hour, 2-3 times a day to keep tank at 80 degrees in the summer. In the winter when inside temperature is 70ish it never kicks on.

Ditto

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL Breeze on both of my tanks and been quite happy with the results.

They adjust speed based on the tank temp and are dead silent.

I may pair it with the GHL PTC when it comes out also, on my one tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may pair it with the GHL PTC when it comes out also, on my one tank.

I like this concept a lot.
I've seen other peltier coolers but they always seemed too limited or inconvenient; this looks nice and I bet it works well.
I wonder if anyone will manufacture an adapter for use with an Apex. Or whether a DIY adapter will be practical.
It does have 1-10V input so control with a programmed Apex variable output should be possible in theory.

Tastee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Hailea HC-150A chiller for my 65g tank. I am based in Sydney Australia and it regularly gets to high 30s Celsius in our summer. This chiller has no issues keeping up with that for my tank. It is stored in my enclosed RSR 250 stand next to the sump and has no issues in that environment.

It is not controlled by my Apex however I do power it from my EB so that the Apex can shut it off if it were to fail on and start to chill my tank too far.

rockskimmerflow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’ve never understood this. 1/5 HP is only 150 watts, and it’s only using that much power intermittently when actively cooling (unlike your pumps or lights that run all day or for 8-12 hours at a time). I run a ton more wattage in heating than cooling.
Just to be clear on chillers that is the rating of the nominal hp output of the compressor - NOT the electrical draw of the unit. The 1/5 hp JBJ for example is rated at 5amps at 115V. Depending on the power factor we could be looking at 400W - 570W clicking on/off intermittently. Just important to know since current draw on a chiller can overload a lot of 15 amp home circuits when the tank has all it's lights running and it's hot out during the day.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is assuming the chiller is 100% efficient. Looking at the specs on an Artica 1/5 HP appears to be about 20% efficient 150 watts of cooling from 575 watts of electrical power.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear on chillers that is the rating of the nominal hp output of the compressor - NOT the electrical draw of the unit. The 1/5 hp JBJ for example is rated at 5amps at 115V. Depending on the power factor we could be looking at 400W - 570W clicking on/off intermittently. Just important to know since current draw on a chiller can overload a lot of 15 amp home circuits when the tank has all it's lights running and it's hot out during the day.

Fair enough - but still a lot less wattage than I run for heating.

AS

rockskimmerflow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough - but still a lot less wattage than I run for heating.
I have no idea how much heating you run, nor was I disputing whether you run more or less than your cooling requires. Was just correcting the false info you stated regarding the amount of power a 1/5 hp chiller demands when it is running. Have a great day!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back