Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a chill solutions thermoelectric aquarium chiller and installed it lon my 15 gallon tank last night. I'm not sure if its not working properly or if it needs more time to cool the water.

The fan is running on it but I can't see or feel any water in the tubing when I touch it. So I'm not sure if water it flowing through it.

Is there any way to know for sure?

I'm going to wait 24 hours as suggested by the manufacturer to see if the temp starts dropping.

Any insights or personal experience with this product would be greatly appreciated.

20210814_094956.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read something about keeping the chill solutions thermoelectric chiller 24 inches away from the tank or less and I believe i set mine a little further away than that. I ordered a small stand to put next to the aquarium and plan on shortening the distance once the stand arrives.

Could this be preventing it from working properly.?

T-J

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read something about keeping the chill solutions thermoelectric chiller 24 inches away from the tank or less and I believe i set mine a little further away than that. I ordered a small stand to put next to the aquarium and plan on shortening the distance once the stand arrives.

Could this be preventing it from working properly.?
If flow is the issue, then it's your pump, not the chiller. You said you don't know if water is flowing through. The easiest thing to do is to see if it's coming out of the tube back into your tank. Unless I'm reading your problem incorrectly.

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is my issue. I got the pump kit directly from the manufacturer and I can hear the noise from the pump, that doesn't mean I didn't get a defective one though.

I also have a temperature controller hooked up to a heater and the chill solutions chiller. There are 2 power supply cords one on the chiller itself and the pump as well.

I only have one cooling outlet on my temperature controller and assumed i should plug the chiller power supply cord in that and plug the pump into another available outlet?

Maybe I did this the wrong way?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So either I need to adjust the height of the chiller closer to the pump or switch out the chiller and pump power supply cords on my temperature controller. If neither of those work I probably got a faulty pump.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for your advice. I knew i would probably need to put in closer to the tank. I do have the mounting bracket but was hesitant to put holes in my wall so am waiting for a 30 inch high 12"12" stand to arrive that i ordered so that i can keep it on right next to the tank.

I have read Sicce pumps are better before. Can you provide the model number i should get?

Is it one of these in the pictures?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210814-112716_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210814-112716_Chrome.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210814-112534_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210814-112534_Chrome.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for your advice. I knew i would probably need to put in closer to the tank. I do have the mounting bracket but was hesitant to put holes in my wall so am waiting for a 30 inch high 12"12" stand to arrive that i ordered so that i can keep it on right next to the tank.

I have read Sicce pumps are better before. Can you provide the model number i should get?

Is it one of these in the pictures?

The nano one. The second picture. I also used the little elbow from the Rio with the Sicce.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my chill solutions thermoelectric chiller up and running last night. I am using a Sicce nano pump per recommend by reefiniteasy. Seems to be a much higher quality pump and is not loud at all.

Before I installed the chiller my 15 gallon tanks temperature was at 82.5 degrees. This morning when I woke up it had dropped to 75.6 degrees. Absolutely amazing!

I did a water change around 5pm today and the temperature went back to 80 degrees and has since only came down to 79 degrees in about 4 hours.

Hoping it keeps going down over night again. I have no idea why the temperature spoked and hasn't dropped significantly again yet?

Does anyone know what might cause this and should the chiller be bringing the temperature down faster then 1 degree in 4 hours?

I'm planning on this being a seahorse tank so temperature control is very important.

If I'm over looking something please let me know?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sitting in my porch which isn't temperature controlled so I'm not surprised in the sudden spike in temperature.

I'm just not sure why its taking so long for the tank temperatures to drop back down.

This morning tank temperature is 77.4 degrees so its dropping an additional 1.6 degrees since last night but no where near as much as it did the first night it was set up.

I'm not sure why its taking longer to cool down.

In the future, expecting with this tank ill be moving my premade salt water to my cool temperature controlled basement so it starts off cooler when I add it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature will drop again to what you want. In my experience the chiller is good at keeping the temp where you have it set but takes awhile to get there. Your fresh salt water needs to be at 75 so you don’t get that spike.

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it to.75.6 when I first set it up. Ideally I'd like to get it to between72 -.74 degrees but I'm not sure how realistic that is?

I think I read that on a 10 gallon you can cool down the tank by 10 degrees. Since I have a 15 gallon I would think i could expect to cool my tank around 6-7 degrees.

Avast

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it to.75.6 when I first set it up. Ideally I'd like to get it to between72 -.74 degrees but I'm not sure how realistic that is?

I think I read that on a 10 gallon you can cool down the tank by 10 degrees. Since I have a 15 gallon I would think i could expect to cool my tank around 6-7 degrees.

The is going to be determined by the air temp in your house. Turn your AC temp down and it will get cooler.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back