Cheato Gro cloudy water - Carbon Source?

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guaranteed Analysis​

0-0-1.30; Potassium (K) as Soluble Potash (K2O) (min) 1.30%; Boron 0.009%; Carbon 0.005%; Calcium 0.14%; Chlorine 0.39%; Cobalt 0.0004%; Iron 0.1%; Magnesium 0.4%; Manganese 0.0475%; Molybdenum 0.004%; Sulfur 0.16%; Zinc 0.002%.

Every time I dose this I get a cloudy bacterial bloom that lasts the entire day but clears up the following day.

I’m wondering if a bacteria bloom can occur that quickly? Do you think the carbon in the Cheato Gro causes this?

Ps. Bacteria bloom is neither good nor bad to me. I just want to understand what’s happening.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every time I dose this I get a cloudy bacterial bloom that lasts the entire day but clears up the following day.

I’m wondering if a bacteria bloom can occur that quickly? Do you think the carbon in the Cheato Gro causes this?

Ps. Bacteria bloom is neither good nor bad to me. I just want to understand what’s happening.

How quickly does the water become cloudy?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fast makes me think it is a chemical reaction, though how the heck could trace elements cause a precipitate? If you added 1/2 as much would the cloudiness be 1/2 or disappear?
It would basically be the same cloudiness. I tried doing that last time.

I follow the bare minimum directions and under dose if anything. They want me to dose 5mL/20 gallons twice a week. I just dose that once a week. That instruction was for the first week. I’m actually “supposed” to dose more.

Next time I dose it I will take pictures of the progression of the cloudiness with time stamps.

But in my experience, not even carbon dosing causes such rapid cloudiness. The cloudiness begins from when I just add the dosage, but it doesn’t get noticeable until after an hour. After a few hours it gets cloudy cloudy.

And note that I run an oversized UV sterilizer 24/7. I don’t get bacterial blooms ever except when dosing cheato gro.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would basically be the same cloudiness. I tried doing that last time.

I follow the bare minimum directions and under dose if anything. They want me to dose 5mL/20 gallons twice a week. I just dose that once a week. That instruction was for the first week. I’m actually “supposed” to dose more.

Next time I dose it I will take pictures of the progression of the cloudiness with time stamps.

But in my experience, not even carbon dosing causes such rapid cloudiness. The cloudiness begins from when I just add the dosage, but it doesn’t get noticeable until after an hour. After a few hours it gets cloudy cloudy.

And note that I run an oversized UV sterilizer 24/7. I don’t get bacterial blooms ever except when dosing cheato gro.
Just for reference, I am dosing 8 mL per week for almost 100 gallons. I have 5 L of Ulva. Maybe there is room to back off your dose a bit at least temporarily to see how the tank responds.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference, I am dosing 8 mL per week for almost 100 gallons. I have 5 L of Ulva. Maybe there is room to back off your dose a bit at least temporarily to see how the tank responds.
Oh dear, if I had your tank size I would be dosing 25mL.

I don’t even have Ulva/macro algae. Dang. I’m definitely overdoing it by basically following the bottle directions.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back