Changing out chaeto in refugium...should I try another type of microalgae?

Ecotech Marine

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Background first. I have been keeping aquariums for most of my life, well, I mean the first 8 or so years obviously my parents were the ones actually dealing with the upkeep, but you know what I mean. However, it has always been only freahwater aquariums. That all changed November 2018. A lfs I would visit to get live food for my larger fish or to get new fish was shutting down. So all their products were being sold for less than 50% their original price. And it just so happened that while I was there, they had only 2 Coarlife Biocube 16s left in stock. You're darn right I bought one right then and there (as well as the stand, some live sand, and a heater). This was the stary of my very first saltwater tank, which is also my first reef tank. And here we are, one year later:
Front:
20191130_200053.jpg

Left/side I see from couch(i see the front too, just not the opposite side):
20191130_200104.jpg

Right:
20191130_200058.jpg

Not too shabby, right?

Anyway, the reason for this post. The only real modification I made to the tank was that I replaced the media basket it came with, and switched it out for one from InTank so I could setup the middle chamber as a refugium. I am planning to switch out the old Chaeto for a new batch, as it is kinda all ugly and covered in something (not sure if it is red diatoms, or some sort of red algae. I will post a pic later after I get home from work).

So I was looking on the website @AlgaeBarn and thinking of ordering a new batch of Chaeto, but I saw they had some other microalgaes available as well, specifically Red Ogo, Sea Lettuce, and Pom Pom Gracilaria.

So my question is, should I switch to one of those instead of going with Chaeto again? What are others experience with all these microalgaes and which would you say works best?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a three pack from @AlgaeBarn and it's growing like crazy. I got the chaeto, red ogo, and sea lettuce. Its all growing like crazy :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all have worked but I find chaeto the easiest to work with. I only get that ugly slime stuff with not enough light or improper lighting.
I have a LED strip light hanging off the back I got off of Amazon. It grows the chaeto like crazy (Iiterally got rid of 2/3s of it last month, and when I did a water change this past Sunday - Dec 15 - it had all grown bag and completely filled up the media basket), but maybe I need to switch it out for the other one I have.
The one currently in use:
Screenshot_20191217-135405_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The one sitting in a drawer on my TV stand.
Screenshot_20191217-135424_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The top one is listed as being 6500K - 7500K, and the bottom one is listed as being 2800K - 3000K.

So should I switch the two lights out?

OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a three pack from @AlgaeBarn and it's growing like crazy. I got the chaeto, red ogo, and sea lettuce. Its all growing like crazy :)
Don't think my mini fuge is big enough for all three Crabs. Not unless I make the whole biocube into a refugium lol

S2G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LED strip light hanging off the back I got off of Amazon. It grows the chaeto like crazy (Iiterally got rid of 2/3s of it last month, and when I did a water change this past Sunday - Dec 15 - it had all grown bag and completely filled up the media basket), but maybe I need to switch it out for the other one I have.
The one currently in use:
View attachment 1333481
The one sitting in a drawer on my TV stand.
View attachment 1333482

The top one is listed as being 6500K - 7500K, and the bottom one is listed as being 2800K - 3000K.

So should I switch the two lights out?

I'd do the 6500. When I use the white flood lights I get red slime with chaeto. When i use grow lights chaeto out competes it. 10 nitrate and .09 phos

Im not sure what is available on a smaller scale but the specs these lights run seems to do the best.
Taotronics grow bulb
UFO 150w
Kessil h380

There's a guy on here I bought chaeto from 2 baseball size portions for like $25. If interested pm me and I'll find the pm I ordered it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back