Changing all rock to Caribsea LifeRock in 1yr old system?

BRS

gunflintcamper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had to go fallow in our 80g tank…the Waterbox Marine 110 (30g sump)…this was our first tank (up to 5 now) and I’ve never been happy with the aquascape. We recently started a 20g with the Caribsea Shapes rock and it looks so amazing that I want to redo the whole bigger tank with it. It allows more swimming and hiding space as well as height and surfaces for corals. But….I’ve read conflicting ideas on how to do this.

Should we replace a portion of rock at a time? And if so…say 10%…every how often? A week? a month?

Or can we swap all the rock while fallow? Since there’s little bioload or ammonia issues for the next 6 weeks. Keeping the current sand and about 20 pounds of media in the sump. Possibly adding some more of the old display rock below.

The current rock was dry Marco rock and has some coralline, and been in the fully cycled tank over a year. Most of the corals are healthy and young enough to be easily moved…may lose some clove polyps and zoas but that’s it.

Pics are tank we want to redo and the type of rock we will be using. The rock is Caribsea Liferock…basically painted dry rock…not live or any version of live as indicated by its name.

E66B3BEB-8E97-4A84-9248-C7DEC8C02970.jpeg B9C23C27-E262-4DB2-90D4-6EC4D5C52FE0.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back