+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some insight here. I had a crazy weekend with an injury and a big party for my youngest sons first birthday and when I checked out my tank after all the dust settled I noticed my chalice coral had flesh hanging off in certain spots and skeleton exposed. This chalice was not labeled from my LFS but I believe it is a Mummy Eye Chalice as it’s neon green with bright orange polyps. The only really changes lately we’re I added reef Brite XHOs to my AI Hydra 32s. Since upgrading the lighting I noticed a bit more striations on the coral itself and assumed it was due to the increased growth. I am now starting to think it is receiving too much light and that was the flesh thinning out. The picture is junk I know but basically I have a couple large circles with flesh hanging off, algae started to grow on some of the skeleton because it was so white and now a hermit is eating the algae. I have no reason to believe the hermits are attacking this coral so I do think it’s a by product of the algae there. Should I trying moving the chalice to lower light ?

Attached is a pretty recent picture of the coral when it was healthier and one from yesterday.

C145A7C2-D893-45A7-90A1-36B15BD0DA96.jpeg E77A386B-8CB6-4D83-9479-774D9C2825EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back