Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I've had this chalice for about 2 months or so and it was doing fine and now all of a sudden it looks like it is bleaching. I've been fighting nitrates (10-15) and phosphate (about .12) since I've had it. The only recent change is I was dosing ALK/MAG/CAL slowly to bring my levels up to the recommended Red Sea recipe amount of 11.5 alk, 450 cal, and 1350 mag as I am using reef crystals and it is a little low compared to these targets. Could I have increased levels to fast or is the nitrate/phosphate catching up and doing damage finally? Thank you for any advice
IMG_1074.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Scooters Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I've had this chalice for about 2 months or so and it was doing fine and now all of a sudden it looks like it is bleaching. I've been fighting nitrates (10-15) and phosphate (about .12) since I've had it. The only recent change is I was dosing ALK/MAG/CAL slowly to bring my levels up to the recommended Red Sea recipe amount of 11.5 alk, 450 cal, and 1350 mag as I am using reef crystals and it is a little low compared to these targets. Could I have increased levels to fast or is the nitrate/phosphate catching up and doing damage finally? Thank you for any advice
View attachment 3094650
Judging the proximity to that Favia... Id assume coral warfare and they are battling at night time. How long have they been that close? I would say the tissue looks healthy and fluffed up otherwise.
I would move the corals a bit further apart and see if it makes a difference. Hope that helps.

Also, we need your tanks lighting, flow, etc. Also, how many days did you take to adjust Alkalinity upwards? How much per day was the alkalinity raised? In order to make an educated guess to the root cause of the corals tissue recession, we need all the information we can get. Also a white light picture is always helpful.

Best of luck and hope you figure out the problem.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

rshust

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging the proximity to that Favia... Id assume coral warfare and they are battling at night time. How long have they been that close? I would say the tissue looks healthy and fluffed up otherwise.
I would move the corals a bit further apart and see if it makes a difference. Hope that helps.

Also, we need your tanks lighting, flow, etc. Also, how many days did you take to adjust Alkalinity upwards? How much per day was the alkalinity raised? In order to make an educated guess to the root cause of the corals tissue recession, we need all the information we can get. Also a white light picture is always helpful.

Best of luck and hope you figure out the problem.
Thank you for the reply, I am rather newish to the hobby so still learning my ways.

I have a bio cube 32 with the Steve's led light upgrade, I have had it on 1200 since the day I got it (which was before I added the frags) and have not adjusted it at all and like I said they have not moved and lighting hasn't changed the last 2 months and this just started basically over the course of 2 days. Flow I have two nano wave makers, one on the corner below the pump output and the other in the front opposite corner.

For raising the levels; I did an increase of 1.4 dkh, 20ppm calcium, and 10ppm magnesium daily (this is what Red Sea said to do but idk maybe that's to much)

Let me know if you need any other info, I will get a white light photo tomorrow as I have already entered night mode.

Scooters Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising DKH and allows the coral to better utilize the higher nutrients. I am not an expert either, this is based off what I've read and personal experience. Keep us posted and would love to see some clear pictures under white lighting. Speaking of lighting, I don't have experience with Steve's lighting. I have heard of and seen tanks for sale with the upgrade but unsure of what type of lighting/leds compose the setup. Do you know the par of the tank at various depths and locations? was the "had it on 1200 since the day I got it" is that meant to be par and 120? Anyways...
Best of luck.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
R

rshust

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising DKH and allows the coral to better utilize the higher nutrients. I am not an expert either, this is based off what I've read and personal experience. Keep us posted and would love to see some clear pictures under white lighting. Speaking of lighting, I don't have experience with Steve's lighting. I have heard of and seen tanks for sale with the upgrade but unsure of what type of lighting/leds compose the setup. Do you know the par of the tank at various depths and locations? was the "had it on 1200 since the day I got it" is that meant to be par and 120? Anyways...
Best of luck.
Hey there! So the Steves LED is supposed to offer all spectrums to grow all coral where it guarantees you can grow anything in the Biocube. 1200 stands for the intensity of the lights as set on the HurricaneX controller, which is about 30% of the max. Its the recommended starting point and as the coral doesn't seem to be starving for light (the polyps don't appear smaller or larger then normal)

I don't know the exact par level unfortunately

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

rshust

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An fyi this looks like a gonipora that is not doing well either. It I suspect the goni issue is from water quality were as the chalice is from coral warfare

View attachment 3101239
That came on the live rock when I got it, so it was questionable to begin with. I haven't noticed much changes since I got the rock, if anything it actually looks slightly better.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back