Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I purchased and received chaeto (golf ball size) from algae barn last week. This is for my Biocube 32 g (placed in the second chamber). At the same time I ordered a kessil h80 which I intended to use but was not shipped with the chaeto. I just set it up now. I was using a standard light bulb for the time being.
I noticed that the chaeto is turning white. There is some green chaeto still in there.

Not sure if I should just remove the Chaeto or there is still a chance for it to survive and grow with the new light.

I am new to this. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks.

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how new is the tank? any fish in it? how much do you feed? how often?

you may be low on the micro nutrients(manganese, iron, etc) which is causing the chaeto to turn white even with a light over it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is over a year old. Have 2 clowns and a royal gramma and only a few coral. I have had gha for several months with nitrate steadily at around 6-7 and phosphate o.24-0.26. I do a 15% water change every week
I just started with Chaeto last week but because I have been away the light (a standard bulb) was running about 3 hours a night. I didn’t feel comfortable running while asleep as it was right between my wall and the back of the tank. I have been waiting for my H80 to arrive which I was able to install tonight.
I honestly have been giving it very little light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I don’t think I gave enough. I have the light shining on the back of the tank as it’s a Biocube. Now that I have the h80 I will set on grow and increase intensity.

Just wondering if some of half the Chaeto is white and the other half still green is it a loss or has the potential to come back??

I don’t want to release more nitrate and phosphate into the tank.

Upvote 0

42Freeman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I purchased and received chaeto (golf ball size) from algae barn last week. This is for my Biocube 32 g (placed in the second chamber). At the same time I ordered a kessil h80 which I intended to use but was not shipped with the chaeto. I just set it up now. I was using a standard light bulb for the time being.
I noticed that the chaeto is turning white. There is some green chaeto still in there.

Not sure if I should just remove the Chaeto or there is still a chance for it to survive and grow with the new light.

I am new to this. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks.
When did you purchase? i've been trying to get some from them and it is always sold out

Upvote 0

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know cheato was in such high demand. I just tossed about a 10” ball of the stuff last night.
Same. I toss it over the hill when I have to pull some. Mine has so much life it in I don't harvest untill I have too. Even then I keep dipping and shaking trying to get the pods, micro brittle stars, and other creatures out before I toss it.

Upvote 0

Mr Fishface

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had caulerpa prolifera, I started with a CFL bulb. I switched to a high powered LED and it bleached my algae. Turned white and I thought it died but it didn't. It went small and came back thicker than ever before and had crazy growth after that. It's possible it is adjusting to a new light source. Keep it going unless it 100% dies IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had caulerpa prolifera, I started with a CFL bulb. I switched to a high powered LED and it bleached my algae. Turned white and I thought it died but it didn't. It went small and came back thicker than ever before and had crazy growth after that. It's possible it is adjusting to a new light source. Keep it going unless it 100% dies IMO.
Thank you.

I guess I will try to keep it going. I appreciate the insight.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back