Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank is about 4 months old and I just got my chaeto from algae barn last week. The chaeto is slowly turning white, and I don’t know what is going on because I have a hair algae bloom in my reef tank, which means there is a lot of nutrients and also I got a chaeto growing light from Amazon. The chaeto is in my refugium. This same thing happened about two months ago. Now the chaeto completely white
This image is about 4 days ago

IMG_2255.jpeg

This image was about 4 days ago

Nutramar Foods

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your parameters. Growing hair algae does not mean you have an excess amount of nutrients in your tank when algae grows, it consumes nutrients, such as nitrates and phosphates the hair algae that you are referring to could be soaking up all the nutrients in the tank. Not allowing the cheato to thrive in its natural nutrient rich environment.

Avast

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your parameters. Growing hair algae does not mean you have an excess amount of nutrients in your tank when algae grows, it consumes nutrients, such as nitrates and phosphates the hair algae that you are referring to could be soaking up all the nutrients in the tank. Not allowing the cheato to thrive in its natural nutrient rich environment.

Nuisance algae have developed survival techniques to outcompete desirable macro algae. Dose ChaetoGrow and consider extra iron dosing.

OP
OP
B

BMDinh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 10 ppm. I have zero nitrites and ammonia. I do not have a phosphate test kit

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 10 ppm. I have zero nitrites and ammonia. I do not have a phosphate test kit
A fuge with chaeto generally seems to work best at closer to 6 months and beyond for tank age. Typically by then you have already battled the uglies and the fuge helps balance things out by keeping PH stable overnight, home for pods, help with nutrients export, etc... it's not an overnight cure for GHA. I had trouble growing chaeto at first with cheap amazon light. I switched to a neptune gro light and my chaeto grows huge now.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
B

BMDinh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge with chaeto generally seems to work best at closer to 6 months and beyond for tank age. Typically by then you have already battled the uglies and the fuge helps balance things out by keeping PH stable overnight, home for pods, help with nutrients export, etc... it's not an overnight cure for GHA. I had trouble growing chaeto at first with cheap amazon light. I switched to a neptune gro light and my chaeto grows
A fuge with chaeto generally seems to work best at closer to 6 months and beyond for tank age. Typically by then you have already battled the uglies and the fuge helps balance things out by keeping PH stable overnight, home for pods, help with nutrients export, etc... it's not an overnight cure for GHA. I had trouble growing chaeto at first with cheap amazon light. I switched to a neptune gro light and my chaeto grows huge now.
How did you make your chaeto float?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make your chaeto float?
First I tried putting it in one of those baby fish net baskets in my chamber but it didn't work out. Now I just leave it by itself floating in the chamber above rock rubble. I rotate it by hand once a week or so.

OP
OP
B

BMDinh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I tried putting it in one of those baby fish net baskets in my chamber but it didn't work out. Now I just leave it by itself floating in the chamber above rock rubble. I rotate it by hand once a week or so.
How long do you turn the lights on for the chaeto?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have added chaeto to my tank and it would do great for a month or two then just stop growing and would begin to die. The last time when it started to die I started adding chaeto gro and growth started right back up.
I know it’s been already suggested a few times but I would also recommend trying chaeto gro.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to cut down the lighting period to 6 hrs and slowly increase by 30 mins every week. Strong light and long lighting period can kill them too.
I cut football size pieces off every 2 weeks and toss it or give it to my LFS for credit.

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut football size pieces off every 2 weeks and toss it or give it to my LFS for credit.
My message is for BMDinh LOL. When I first start growing the chaeto, i experience the same things as him. Once my chaeto get used to my lighting period (which is 13 hrs a day with par ~100) I start trimming good portion to feed my 3 tangs and give them to the LFS every week ;)

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My message is for BMDinh LOL. When I first start growing the chaeto, i experience the same things as him. Once my chaeto get used to my lighting period (which is 13 hrs a day with par ~100) I start trimming good portion to feed my 3 tangs and give them to the LFS every week ;)
Yea mine did the same as his to early on then I added the Neptune gro light and the little ball took off.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
B

BMDinh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back