Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my CDA tank build!! I picked the tank up from another local reefer that was the original owner in Dec 2022. He had owned it for a little over I year I think. So it's new to me and plus he sold it for a killer deal. Originally I wasn't going to build a bigger tank than what I have now(RSR250 - see my signature for the build) because I'm going to buy a house in the near future. Well when house prices come down to a reasonable price. I've moved large tanks in the past and it's not something that I want to do again. Besides I'm not sure what location and fit my current tanks would be in a new home.

BUT... I went and bought another tank to build out. :face-with-tears-of-joy: It's only twice as big as my RSR250.

The plan is to have a mixed reef tank with SPS towards the top of the rock scape with LPS towards the bottom, and zoa's along the bottom with mushrooms and plate corals. RSR250 tank has been on the moonshine method for a year and half. It's been great. No water changes since the start and the tank looks great. So I'm going with the moonshine method on this build. Plan to dose all the dailies with a reefdose. I haven't decided on a Calcium reactor, but the manifold I'm building will have and extra gate valve that I can use for it.

Here's the tank when I went and picked it up

CDA 1.jpg

CDA 1.jpg

CDA 2.jpg

CDA 3.jpg

The tank came with brand new metal halides with 48" led bar lights for blue pop. I thought about keeping the MH lights, but ended up selling them to a local reefer.

Here's my list of equipment for the tank to start with:
  • Orphek Icon lights x 2
  • Orphek Oone with OR3-120 48" bars in blue sky x2(on the waiting list for the new release)
  • Trigger sump ruby red(modified)
  • Somatic 60 sump (for the reefmat 1200)
  • Reefmat 1200
  • Red sea skimmer RSK900
  • CW-200 Clear water ATS
  • Deluxe BRS reactors x2(GFO if needed/backup, Carbon)
  • Red sea Reefdose 4 head doser
  • Vectra L2 return pump(manifold with reactors)
  • Current USA 6010(1900 GPH) for the UV sterilizer manifold
  • 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer
  • Hard plumbed manifolds(2) with gate valves for reactors, ATS, spare gate valve for Cal reactor, cepex ball valves for return pumps
  • Full Apex with Trident
  • 1" Flow meter for UV sterilizer (plumbed)
  • Titanium heaters 600watt x2
  • AI Fuge light
  • Motorized light rack(electric desk) with T slot aluminum
  • Red sea Reefwave 25x2
  • Nero 5(not sure how many, I have a 4 laying around)

Currently finishing the hard plumbing and then I will start on the rock scape. I picked up a bunch of reef rock, and shelf rock to use for the build. My plan is to build some negative scape like I did in my RSR250 build. Using white PVC to mockup the manifold, and I will use RED pvc pipe with grey sch 80 fittings.

CDA MANIFOLD PREP 1.jpg

CDA MANIFOLD PREP 2.jpg
CDA MANIFOLD PREP 3.jpg
CDA MANIFOLD PREP 4.jpg
CDA MANIFOLD PREP 5.jpg

Corals.com
OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a platform for the ATS to sit on and so it's out of the way for me to get into the fuge chamber on the trigger sump. In the past I've had issues with the ATS on my RSR250 leak every once in awhile. So I wanted to make sure that if it did, there's no way for it to leak onto the ground.

I used red color plexiglass and cut it up and made it into this below

CDA ATS 1.jpg

CDA ATS 2.jpg

CDA ATS 3.jpg

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up reefers!! I've been busy with work. I received a promotion and gained new territory. I'm now flying to AZ every other week for 3 days. It's a huge increase in commission for me. That's why it's taking me longer to get this build done. Here's the finished the hard plumbing.
1.jpg

3.jpg
2.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

8.jpg
7.jpg

I'm going to run a FUGE, and the ATS on alternating schedules. So FUGE for 12hrs and then ATS for 12hrs. I ended up mounting the AI FUGE light to the ATS. Turned out pretty clean.

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg
11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next project is to add the leveling feet to the steel stand. I made these leveling feet mounts with steel plates and welded a 1/2" grade 8 nut. These will be mounted with screws to the steel stand, there's a total of 6. I will drill a hole for each stud to go up into the steel tubing. Once I'm finished with this, I will move the tank into the house and do a leak test. Then I will start the aqua scape and hopefully it will be filled with water before Memorial day weekend.

feet.jpg

feet 2.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides building the aqua scape I have a few more things to plan out and finish.

• Control panel layout and figure out how I want to do it. Cabinet next to the tank? Mount all the electronics on the wall behind the tank and put it on a slides to put out from the back of the tank?
  • Reefdose(4 head - x2) setup with the Reef moonshiner method dailies(6 bottles) along with ALK, CAL. I'm been contemplating doing a calcium reactor. Haven't pulled the trigger or decided.
  • Install the water station on the exterior wall adjacent to the reef tank. Plan is to have RO water in the station to supply the ATO for the tank. I do have another setup for making saltwater if needed. But I don't do water changes now on my RSR250. My IM lagoon 25gal I do a month water change.

OP
OP
Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the tank up for a leak test and trial run. Found that the Reefmat sump needs another bulkhead to drain into the trigger sump. There's currently a 1-1/2" bulkhead. The water level on the reefmat sump is too high for my liking. It's about 3" higher than the trigger sump water level. I do have a flow meter for both returns on the tank and I'm curious what these two return pumps will put out. I have them both at 50% power right now and the overflow is just about full.

BRS reactor looked funny at first, and then it started to leak. Took it apart and found a pin hole in it. Going to send this info to BRS and hopefully they replace this reactor. It was purchases brand new in the last couple months or so. First time using it in the video.

BRS reactor leaking

BRS reactor pin hole 1.jpg

BRS reactor pin hole 2.jpg

BRS reactor pin hole 3.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back