Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to catch a Luna and a coral Beauty, every time I add my fish trap they just avoid it. I’m really not trying to starve the entire tank but I’m starting to get impatient, any recommendations on this trap?!?.
3D776C85-B007-4DBF-8BC2-C5B5C84ECF1C.jpeg

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Section off the tank...

I had to do this on a 10 foot tank to get a blue tang.

Ended up also taking out 1/2 my rock...
That would be plan B is to pull out the rock…I just for obvious reason really don’t want it to come to that. That would be messy and a mad spouse.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a large DIY trap from a large wide mouth pretzel type container following a suggestion here on R2R to catch an aggressive coral beauty. You hinge the lid to the box with fishing line or tie wraps and have a fishing line to pull up on the lid. Placed it in the tank for a few days before baiting it. Caught him within a minute after putting a cube of Mysis in it (along with a wrasse). I think the larger size and opening compared to those smaller acrylic box traps helps reduce their reluctance to swim into the trap. Works much better than the type of trap in your picture. I could probably find the link if you are interested.

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a large DIY trap from a large wide mouth pretzel type container following a suggestion here on R2R to catch an aggressive coral beauty. You hinge the lid to the box with fishing line or tie wraps and have a fishing line to pull up on the lid. Placed it in the tank for a few days before baiting it. Caught him within a minute after putting a cube of Mysis in it (along with a wrasse). I think the larger size and opening compared to those smaller acrylic box traps helps reduce their reluctance to swim into the trap. Works much better than the type of trap in your picture. I could probably find the link if you are interested.
I would not mind looking at the link, my way is not working (yet..)

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be plan B is to pull out the rock…I just for obvious reason really don’t want it to come to that. That would be messy and a mad spouse.
You don't necessarily need to pull the rock - the link below gives some specific ideas (yes, it's oriented toward large tanks, but the concepts work for small tanks too), but basically you drive the fish into a specific portion of the tank and block off the other portions. Once it's in a small enough space that it can't escape, you remove it. Not necessarily easy (and I don't know how plausible it may be for your setup), but it might be easier than tearing down the tank temporarily.

Corals.com

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a piece of PVC Pipe, capped off one end. Wire tied it to a magnet. Filled with Aquarium water, put frozen food in, let it sink. Put the opening below the water with the capped in slightly down. Third night the Flameback Angel went way into the pipe, to get the food.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These things are smarter than they appear lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pvtgloss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same trap and have been successful twice. I caught a coral beauty within minutes but with a 6 line I had to get creative. I would put food in the trap and be standing 5 feet away and the 6 line would literally look at the food, then the trap door, follow the string all the way to me, and then he would take off. What I did was- took the door off and used a baster and feed my tank for a few days through the feeding hole. Then I put the door back on and kept feeding the same way. But this time i used 4lb test fishing line and i wrapped around something and ran it back to the other side the room. But I would feed and leave the room. Wouldn't even sweat it. Then I skipped a day of feeding and the next day....BAM! GOT HIS butt. I feel like the more I tried and was constantly in the glass sweating it the more he was like "NO WAY, BRO". Just drop it in and let them get use to it.

AS
OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same trap and have been successful twice. I caught a coral beauty within minutes but with a 6 line I had to get creative. I would put food in the trap and be standing 5 feet away and the 6 line would literally look at the food, then the trap door, follow the string all the way to me, and then he would take off. What I did was- took the door off and used a baster and feed my tank for a few days through the feeding hole. Then I put the door back on and kept feeding the same way. But this time i used 4lb test fishing line and i wrapped around something and ran it back to the other side the room. But I would feed and leave the room. Wouldn't even sweat it. Then I skipped a day of feeding and the next day....BAM! GOT HIS butt. I feel like the more I tried and was constantly in the glass sweating it the more he was like "NO WAY, BRO". Just drop it in and let them get use to it.
I just bought some fishing line as well, funny you mention that…my Luna looked at me like I was one dumb SOB with the cotton string I was using…

Pvtgloss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some fishing line as well, funny you mention that…my Luna looked at me like I was one dumb SOB with the cotton string I was using…
Haha same bro. 6 line looking at my like I was stupid af, and I was probably looking like it too, thinking I was all sneaky.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha same bro. 6 line looking at my like I was stupid af, and I was probably looking like it too, thinking I was all sneaky.
I am taking your advice for now and removed the door completely and will feed them only through the feeding tube…was hoping to get these guys out today but nope my two gangsters have other plans

OP
OP
w8lifts

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in case anyone is wondering why….coral beauty has a taste of lps now…haven’t a clue as to why all of a sudden he attached my lps but dang ….The other one is just an a hole and has killed two of my lil dudes RIP

AS
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back