Cat Coral Shark + Mates

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preparing to stock my 300 gallon tank build, and looking for pairings that will work well for a cat coral shark tank. I'm debating on moving my tang gang into the 300 gallon from my Waterbed 150.4 and upgrading my seahorse tank to the 150.4.

Does anyone know how well a gem, tomini, and purple tang would do with a cat coral shark?

I've read controversial comments on pairing eels with sharks, something else I was interested in trying. I doubt seahorses would pair well although that would be extremely interesting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm preparing to stock my 300 gallon tank build, and looking for pairings that will work well for a cat coral shark tank. I'm debating on moving my tang gang into the 300 gallon from my Waterbed 150.4 and upgrading my seahorse tank to the 150.4.

Does anyone know how well a gem, tomini, and purple tang would do with a cat coral shark?

I've read controversial comments on pairing eels with sharks, something else I was interested in trying. I doubt seahorses would pair well although that would be extremely interesting.
Problem with shark is they are messy housekeepers and you will have to monitor water quality and do more frequent water changes. They also have a different dietary requirement

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with shark is they are messy housekeepers and you will have to monitor water quality and do more frequent water changes. They also have a different dietary requirement
Correct. I plan on feeding the shark frozen monster mix and continuing to feed the tangs a combination of frozen/freeze dried mysis and seaweed/algae.

A pairing of mates that eat the same would be nice, but not required.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Correct. I plan on feeding the shark frozen monster mix and continuing to feed the tangs a combination of frozen/freeze dried mysis and seaweed/algae.
Again, focus on water quality and keep in mind some tangs are prone to disease which you dont want passed on to the shark

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, focus on water quality and keep in mind some tangs are prone to disease which you dont want passed on to the shark
Also correct, although these tangs are not prone to ick or itch (it can happen to any tang of course).

Water quality is a must with this setup and it's automated for such.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural foods include gastropod and bivalve mollusks with smaller amounts of crabs, shrimp, and small fish. The Marble Cat Shark or Coral Catshark can be kept with other fish and is usually no problem even with smaller fish that could be eaten. They usually only try to eat fish that are either dying or distressed. No more clean up crew other than you lots of maintenance. Can get up to 28 inches long make sure lots of swimming room and they knock things over all the time.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural foods include gastropod and bivalve mollusks with smaller amounts of crabs, shrimp, and small fish. The Marble Cat Shark or Coral Catshark can be kept with other fish and is usually no problem even with smaller fish that could be eaten. They usually only try to eat fish that are either dying or distressed.
This is to my understanding, although I've read a few stories and want to ensure there's no aggression.

Unsure how nicely seahorses would play given their size.

With tangs, the concern is strictly territorial aggression. Especially as both the tangs and shark grow.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is to my understanding, although I've read a few stories and want to ensure there's no aggression.

Unsure how nicely seahorses would play given their size.

With tangs, the concern is strictly territorial aggression. Especially as both the tangs and shark grow.
Seahorses will likely get eaten tangs and other bigger fish should be fine.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of miss my shark.
IMG_4915 (1).PNG

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a picture of him in a 90 gallon tank he knocked a rock over and it hit the glass in a 300 gallon and it busted luckily I was at home and saved everyone, but had to find them a new home because all I had was 90 gallon just too small for him and many others. make sure you glue your rocks real good if its loose he will move them.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a picture of him in a 90 gallon tank he knocked a rock over and it hit the glass in a 300 gallon and it busted luckily I was at home and saved everyone, but had to find them a new home because all I had was 90 gallon just too small for him and many others. make sure you glue your rocks real good if its loose he will move them.
Curious, but did you happen to have any CUCs with this guy?

I'm debating on putting in a;
Dragon Goby
XXL Derasa Clam
Long Spine Sea Urchin

I already have moved my;
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang

in there.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dragon Goby
XXL Derasa Clam
Long Spine Sea Urchin

I already have moved my;
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang

in there.
I would worry about the clam and goby. Long spine may be ok.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the clam and goby. Long spine may be ok.
I figure a bullet goby would be fast enough but wasn’t sure.

For the clam, you think a cat coral shark would take aim at a large Derasa? I figured it would be too big — but wasn’t sure.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure a bullet goby would be fast enough but wasn’t sure.

For the clam, you think a cat coral shark would take aim at a large Derasa? I figured it would be too big — but wasn’t sure.
They can and will eat other bivalves. I didnt try it. I kept mine in a 300g fish only.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dragon Goby
XXL Derasa Clam
Long Spine Sea Urchin

I already have moved my;
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang

in there.
Just about all CUC is going to be tasty for him. That is what they eat in the reef. I did not keep anything that could fit in his mouth and was afraid to even try clams. He did eat some of my mushroom anemones, but it just made them reproduce more. If you can keep him full there is no telling what you could keep in there with him, But he may have very expensive meals if given the chance.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just be very careful with adding new fish because sharks are notoriously difficult to medicate and often respond poorly to most available medications. Personally, I think a larger puffer (dogface/porcupine?) would look fantastic. Some triggers may nip on the shark so be careful with those, a blue throat would probably be the safest if you wanted to try that.

If you really want eels with the shark, maybe try an engineer goby? Then your sand bed would be clean and you have an eel-ish fish that should be able to easily avoid the shark.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back