Caribsea Life Rock or Aquaroche or Ceramic Ornaments? (or something else)

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the process of setting up a 50 gallon mantis shrimp tank. I'm completely new to the hobby, so I'm learning everything as I go. I've ordered most of my gear, but I'm doubting the practicality of some of my aquascaping decisions, and I'd be very grateful for some opinions. To give some context of how little I understand aquascaping do's and don'ts at the moment, most of the photos I sent to the salesman to show him what I liked were of freshwater tanks because I had failed to recognise the difference :oops:

The shop where I've ordered everything from doesn't really do reef rock of any kind - they do a sterile ceramic live rock imitation called aquaroche which I'm told can significantly reduce cycle time, but aside from a little impatience on my part I think that's more of an advantage for the shop than for me (I've ordered the mantis shrimp from them and it's taking up space in the shop until I'm ready for it). I wasn't massively keen on aquaroche - it seems pretty expensive, starts out as an inert concrete colour (though I know that will change over time) and it comes in a handful of large pre-designed pieces which can't be broken apart and rearranged, so I'd have to imagine the design based on photos or have the salesman endlessly rearrange and photograph it for me (the shop is a long way from where I live).

As an alternative the salesman suggested these faux rock grey ceramic ornaments which I ended up going for, along with this dark substrate, Seachem Gray Coast. However, I'm doubting my choices here so I've asked the shop to hold off sending out the order whilst I give it more thought.

I do like the look of those ceramic grey ornaments, but they aren't porous like aquaroche or live rock so they're no help with filtration - for that reason I've gone for a bigger cannister filter than I otherwise would have, which I worry might be louder than it otherwise needs to be. Also I want to start growing corals and/or macro algae in the tank, and I've just got a feeling that those ornaments are going to look stupid with corals growing on them (or perhaps regardless).

My gut is telling me to go with Caribsea life rock, which will start out a nicer colour, provide a lot of surface area for bacteria and give me a bit more freedom to create my own arrangement than aquaroche. It also seems a lot cheaper although it's hard to tell exactly because aquaroche generally isn't sold by weight.

I also wonder if a dark grey substrate is a bad idea. In the abstract I prefer it to a sandy coloured substrate and I think it should camouflage the entrances to my black PVC tubing mantis shrimp cave better. But I wonder if it's going to draw your eye to every bit of detritus in the tank like a black car shows up the dirt. I also worry it just might look naff compared to how I imagine it - I certainly haven't seen a lot of dark grey substrate used in saltwater aquariums.

I appreciate these are mostly subjective concerns but as I complete notice I'd value any input from more experienced enthusiasts.

Avast

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the process of setting up a 50 gallon mantis shrimp tank. I'm completely new to the hobby, so I'm learning everything as I go. I've ordered most of my gear, but I'm doubting the practicality of some of my aquascaping decisions, and I'd be very grateful for some opinions. To give some context of how little I understand aquascaping do's and don'ts at the moment, most of the photos I sent to the salesman to show him what I liked were of freshwater tanks because I had failed to recognise the difference :oops:

The shop where I've ordered everything from doesn't really do reef rock of any kind - they do a sterile ceramic live rock imitation called aquaroche which I'm told can significantly reduce cycle time, but aside from a little impatience on my part I think that's more of an advantage for the shop than for me (I've ordered the mantis shrimp from them and it's taking up space in the shop until I'm ready for it). I wasn't massively keen on aquaroche - it seems pretty expensive, starts out as an inert concrete colour (though I know that will change over time) and it comes in a handful of large pre-designed pieces which can't be broken apart and rearranged, so I'd have to imagine the design based on photos or have the salesman endlessly rearrange and photograph it for me (the shop is a long way from where I live).

As an alternative the salesman suggested these faux rock grey ceramic ornaments which I ended up going for, along with this dark substrate, Seachem Gray Coast. However, I'm doubting my choices here so I've asked the shop to hold off sending out the order whilst I give it more thought.

I do like the look of those ceramic grey ornaments, but they aren't porous like aquaroche or live rock so they're no help with filtration - for that reason I've gone for a bigger cannister filter than I otherwise would have, which I worry might be louder than it otherwise needs to be. Also I want to start growing corals and/or macro algae in the tank, and I've just got a feeling that those ornaments are going to look stupid with corals growing on them (or perhaps regardless).

My gut is telling me to go with Caribsea life rock, which will start out a nicer colour, provide a lot of surface area for bacteria and give me a bit more freedom to create my own arrangement than aquaroche. It also seems a lot cheaper although it's hard to tell exactly because aquaroche generally isn't sold by weight.

I also wonder if a dark grey substrate is a bad idea. In the abstract I prefer it to a sandy coloured substrate and I think it should camouflage the entrances to my black PVC tubing mantis shrimp cave better. But I wonder if it's going to draw your eye to every bit of detritus in the tank like a black car shows up the dirt. I also worry it just might look naff compared to how I imagine it - I certainly haven't seen a lot of dark grey substrate used in saltwater aquariums.

I appreciate these are mostly subjective concerns but as I complete notice I'd value any input from more experienced enthusiasts.
So no chance you can get live rock?...if not I'd probably go with the liferock but LIVE rock would be a big plus.

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not that I think the ceramic rocks will absolutely not work, but I cannot recommend enough a more porous rock. You will need that especially if you plan to grow corals. Regardless of how large of a filter or sump you have, most all of our filtration comes from porous reef style rock. There are several reef safe epoxies and paints you can use to paint the pvc pipe or break up a reef rock and use reef epoxy to hold together. I prefer a more natural sand scape so I have fiji pink aragonite sand. But there are plenty of reefers who use black sand. So sand is more of your preference essentially. But i would go with reef rock, preferably live rock form the gulf if you can afford it. If not caribsea life rock will do just fine or any other dry reef rock.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Bucs20fan and @livinlifeinBKK, really appreciate your input. I live in the UK and as far as I can tell it's virtually impossible to buy live rock here - at least I haven't found a single place anywhere that does it. I wonder if there are import restrictions or there's something cost prohibitive about the distance it would need to travel? Anyway it doesn't seem to be a realistic option. Sounds like you both agree though that a dry reef rock is a better choice than ceramics though, so based on that feedback my gut feeling to question my decision was right.

I think aquaroche does have the same porous nature as reef rock, but I can't see any advantage to it over dry reef rock and lots of downsides. Unless I hear any dissenting opinions later today I think I'll go for the caribsea stuff, which is readily available here.

Any recommendations on how much of it I should get for a 50 gallon (47" x 16") tank? Aesthetically, I'm inclined to go for more rather than less (I'm not a fan of minimalism in aquascaping) but I don't have a benchmark in my head for what the sensible range is in a tank of my size.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general rule of thumb is at least 1 lb of rock per gallon of water. Some people go more than that. But in a 50 gallon i wouldnt go with any less than 40 lbs of rock. I know that sounds like alot, but remember you can always break the rock and make whatever shape you desire.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get it, and you said caribsea is readily available, id get 3 boxes total. Each box is 20lbs a piece. Id get 1 box of shapes and 2 boxes of regular. Would give you 60 lbs of rock and an infinite number of combos for aquascape. A box of rock here in the US usually runs between 100-130 usd.

World Wide Corals

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used CaribSea Life Rock, cycled the tank with bottled bac and then added a lump of this:

All sorts of things started growing out of it and eventually spread to the dry rock.

1656601557665.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I've gone with the Caribsea rock as you all suggested - I've ordered roughly 60lbs of it. I found a company in the UK that sells most of the sets by the kilo, which is cool because it meant I was able to get quite a variety of shapes.

@flyingscampi I'd even been on that website before and hadn't noticed they sold live rock! I guess I wasn't looking hard enough :) that's a great suggestion, I'm definitely inclined to get a couple of pieces of live rock. Any suggestions on how much of it?

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aquaroche ceramics before, it was big module, and i love it....

Clean, good looking, dont leach anything, quick rinse with water and good to go.

I used it to fresh start a tank, i used it in established tank.... Not a single problem. Its solid, dont crumble, dont have dust or particles.....

Sadly, its not available localy here anymore, but, finished piece of reef ready for water vs chunks of dry rock, hammering, cementing..... Its a obvious winner. Also cost more, but....

Regarding filtration, really didnt see any difference, of course, like with dry rock, its a slow start, but seed it with some live rock, fresh or from another tank and in a few months there is no difference...

Ok now i see that i'm late, you already ordered dry rock... Well, thats life, i guess ;)

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Koh23, yeah cost was definitely a concern for me with aquaroche - the original budget I imagined for this endeavour was laughably inadequate and I've spent an absolute fortune already. The Caribsea stuff isn't cheap, but pound for pound it seems a lot cheaper than aquaroche.

To be honest if the shop where I was buying it from was 20 minutes down the road I quite possibly would have gone for the aquaroche, but it's 200 miles away and I really don't like the idea of selecting various these expensive pieces remotely and then just hoping when they arrive that I'll be able to arrange them in a design that I like (or having somebody else just design the shapes for me, which I'm not keen on either). At least with the Caribsea stuff I can afford to get a little more of it than I need, and I can break it apart and rearrange it so it gives me a lot more options. I think I'm going to really enjoy crafting an aquascape with the dry rock :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning away from the dark grey sand as well now. I've read quite a lot lately about these dark sands containing metals which could be (a) toxic to livestock and (b) magnetic, causing scratches on the glass if you use a magnetic algae scraper. I'm torn though, as I definitely prefer the look of dark sand.

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i'm not sure what aquaroche offering is these days, but, many years back when i used this product, there was modules - big pieces sculpted, same as we do with pieces of rock, you can call it pre-assembled.

Only thing person needs to do is select what desing he like, and what dimensions fit his tank. If i remember, my module was something around 55x40x40 footprint, so, perfect fit for one end of 150cm long tank....

Also, there was pillars, overhangs, plates, and various bigger or smaller modules, so really, it all comes down to select look and dimensions....

I mean, i love to scape and create my unique shape and look, but, this ceramic is really good, not best buy regarding price, but, it come very close when u calculate dry rock, glue, cement.....

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I've gone with the Caribsea rock as you all suggested - I've ordered roughly 60lbs of it. I found a company in the UK that sells most of the sets by the kilo, which is cool because it meant I was able to get quite a variety of shapes.

@flyingscampi I'd even been on that website before and hadn't noticed they sold live rock! I guess I wasn't looking hard enough :) that's a great suggestion, I'm definitely inclined to get a couple of pieces of live rock. Any suggestions on how much of it?
My tank is 60 litre, and I bought 1 kg which was more than enough. You could probably get 1 kg for any sized tank as the bacteria and micro fauna in the live rock would eventually spread...

If you're only adding a small amount of live rock, I would complete the cycle with bottled bac before adding the live rock as you don't want ammonia killing the expensive rock.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i'm not sure what aquaroche offering is these days, but, many years back when i used this product, there was modules - big pieces sculpted, same as we do with pieces of rock, you can call it pre-assembled.

Only thing person needs to do is select what desing he like, and what dimensions fit his tank. If i remember, my module was something around 55x40x40 footprint, so, perfect fit for one end of 150cm long tank....

Also, there was pillars, overhangs, plates, and various bigger or smaller modules, so really, it all comes down to select look and dimensions....

I mean, i love to scape and create my unique shape and look, but, this ceramic is really good, not best buy regarding price, but, it come very close when u calculate dry rock, glue, cement.....
Yeah I'm sure it would have been a viable strategy to go with the aquaroche. It was hard to see how much it was going to cost going that way, although I'm sure it would have been more expensive given that most of the bigger pieces are priced around £150-250 and I think I'd have needed at least three of those, and some smaller ones. Anyway, I'm happy with the decision I've made now :)

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60 litre, and I bought 1 kg which was more than enough. You could probably get 1 kg for any sized tank as the bacteria and micro fauna in the live rock would eventually spread...

If you're only adding a small amount of live rock, I would complete the cycle with bottled bac before adding the live rock as you don't want ammonia killing the expensive rock.
Thanks @flyingscampi, that's great to know. Perhaps if I go for about 5kg then for my 240 litre tank. I don't want to go too far

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. My Caribsea Life Rock arrived today (tank arrives Monday) so I’ve mocked up a tank and a scape I’m reasonably happy with. I’m planning to run the PVC tube that will be a home for my mantis shrimp along the back and put three entrances to it emerging from under the rocks. I’ve ended up with probably 30% of the rock unused but I should be able to send most of that back - the shop I used (Marine Aquatics) sells it by the kilo rather than the boxed sets form that it normally comes in, so they said I can return any unused pieces.

I’ve ordered a 3D black rock background for the tank but I’m pretty sure now that it’s going to (a) look stupid with the reef rock and (b) take up too much space, so that’s probably going back for a refund too. I’m inclined to swap it for a plain black poster background for the outside of the back tank wall so that I don’t see the white wall behind it and also to hide hoses and wires for the equipment.

1A9EBE76-77DD-479D-9D75-477138A64856.jpeg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest what ever rock you decide on, that you use reefbrite liverock enhance along with phytoplankton and pods. Dose the enhance as the instructions say, and after the first 2-3 weeks start dosing the phytoplankton and pods on a weekly cycle. In small amounts.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back