Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS yesterday, and they had some purple rock available - they guy said that these are fake and it's painted to look like Coraline algae and is not really made from rock. I think it was Caribsea. Then I came across this product as shown - it's suppose to be real rock and not concrete or other 'human made' means.

Not sure if anyone here has used before, or can clarify Caribsea line of rock products?

rock.JPG

CLICK TO VIEW

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS yesterday, and they had some purple rock available - they guy said that these are fake and it's painted to look like Coraline algae and is not really made from rock. I think it was Caribsea. Then I came across this product as shown - it's suppose to be real rock and not concrete or other 'human made' means.

Not sure if anyone here has used before, or can clarify Caribsea line of rock products?

View attachment 3122652
I set up a tank using 100% life rock and had a lot of issues. It does have a painted "bacterial blend" that is supposed to help with cycling but I noticed no difference between that and regular dry rock. The purple color also disappears pretty quick. I also had issues with the rock seeming to dissolve over time.

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3122652

If you are just starting seriously consider ocean live rock. Do a little research before deciding your path.

Im not sure whether that’s the concrete rock or not but both are just dry “rocks” painted purple. I have all ocean live rock in my tank besides two of the branch dry purple rocks for aquascaping.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just starting seriously consider ocean live rock. Do a little research before deciding your path.

Im not sure whether that’s the concrete rock or not but both are just dry “rocks” painted purple. I have all ocean live rock in my tank besides two of the branch dry purple rocks for aquascaping.
I'll second this, started one tank dry and the other with real ocean live rock. Night and day difference. Yes it's more expensive up front but so worth the it.

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's painted Marco rock (quarried). The cost is justified if you don't want to wait for your white Marco rock to look like natural rock. I didn't pay any attention to the bacteria claim and cycled normally.

I used it on my first (nano) setup and eventually added a lump of high-quality live rock to improve diversity (which it did in spades).

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and don't have any complaints. You can build a much better habitat with it, than with the round boulder shaped pieces you typically get with live rock. The purple gradually fades, but it takes on a natural gray as it does.

BRS

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on keeping corals? How large of a tank? You could do 50/50 mix if it's extremely large. A smaller nano or up to 40 it's expensive but not too bad. Use dry rock for the base.

You'll get instant bacteria to support your tank, pods, possibly crabs, starfish, shrimp, clams and bivalves, sponges, coralline algae, macro algae, really diverse amount of stuff. Even corals sometimes.

It's amazing from the proper vendors, teaming with life.

Rennurdoar

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything in our tank is caribsea life rock. We've had absolutely no issues with it. I would definitely recommend it if you don't want the white rocks to start.

Or like others mentioned, get some actual live rock from a reputable vendor. Just may not get the aquascape exactly like you want due to various shapes.

20230420_144323.jpg

aSaltyKlown

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's painted Marco rock (quarried).
There is no way this stuff is quarried. I broke some to make a better scape and it looked more like plaster with some dark cement in places. I even have some spots where the coloring has come off and when I blast my rocks with the baster, a white cloud comes out. I have never seen marco rock do that.

Not saying it's bad by any means, it's just not what it is advertised. I used it in my Evo with good results.

For OP, I would consider at least 20% live rock.

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for my 40B.... no issues, just a slow start...added a 2lb live rock piece from Tampa Bay Saltwater......and the tank took off since then!...came with an amazing cup coral also...I have 20lbs of TBSW crushed coral heading my way in a few days after being sold on it at Reefpalooza!

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way this stuff is quarried. I broke some to make a better scape and it looked more like plaster with some dark cement in places. I even have some spots where the coloring has come off and when I blast my rocks with the baster, a white cloud comes out. I have never seen marco rock do that.

Not saying it's bad by any means, it's just not what it is advertised. I used it in my Evo with good results.

Second. Looks like plaster when you break it apart. Not at all porous, so I don't know how great it is as a biofilter--that said, my eunice worms still managed to bore through it, so maybe it is a good filter by now :)

Had horrible algae problems with this rock. Added TBS ocean rock a year later--removed half the Caribsea rocks and rescaped with 50:50. Life improved dramatically (and I got a few Eunice buddies that haunt me in my dreams--STILL worth it!).

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are referring to ocean live rock which is awesome! I think we need to start calling it “ocean live rock” because people in the hobby have started calling all rock “live rock” (even dry stuff) and it confuses people who don’t know.

Nutramar Foods

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm, maybe they changed it, I bought mine in 2021. I setup a new tank recently and had Marco and LifeRock side by side building the landscape. They didn't seem different when you break them up.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to ocean live rock which is awesome! I think we need to start calling it “ocean live rock” because people in the hobby have started calling all rock “live rock” (even dry stuff) and it confuses people who don’t know.
Yea and it absolutely drives me crazy.

I also get a HUGE kick out of people going and buying or ordering actual wet live rock. Or ocean rock Then going home and immediately setting their tank up and then “cycling” their tank for weeks like the dry rock reefers have to do *facepalm*. Dumping ammonia or a dead shrimp in there. I get a huge kick out of that. Then wondering why their levels are all wonkers or out of control. Happens all the time.

There’s a huge misunderstanding and a lot of bad information out there when it comes to cycling a tank.

Last edited:

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe they changed it, I bought mine in 2021. I setup a new tank recently and had Marco and LifeRock side by side building the landscape. They didn't seem different when you break them up.
That Carib sea “life rock” isn’t real rock it’s some weird plaster I have some in a box at home. I will break it and prove to anyone who is wondering. It’s man made

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago before life rock . There was a lot of people making rocks with Portland concrete , oyster shells and mixing in large pieces or salt that will dissolve to make the rocks porous after cured .

I believe life rock is similar

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of you don't want to go the ocean rock route, the next best thing is to look online and locally for someone offloading really old rocks from the indo pacific. Example:
PXL_20230207_222900607.jpg

PXL_20230207_222904494.jpg

Went to a dude's house, picked out a bunch of really cool pieces with holes and shapes and whatnot. This stuff weighs a quarter of a similar size piece of LifeRock, it's so porous (and hard!). You can probably find it on ebay from time to time. Also cost me half or less of what it would cost for similar sizes of LifeRock.

I put it in a tank with some of my ocean rocks from a year old tank and so far so good. Knock on wood.
PXL_20230425_002559982.jpg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back