Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Caribbean Blue Bass has developed quite a bad case of popeye, can anyone tell me the best cause of treatment and what may have caused it

1.jpg
2.jpg

Thanks

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One of my Caribbean Blue Bass has developed quite a bad case of popeye, can anyone tell me the best cause of treatment and what may have caused it

View attachment 3068861View attachment 3068862

Thanks
This may be a result of gas bubble disease especially in presence of many micro bubbles. At times also, with both eyes can If both eyes are affected, it can be Neobenedenia flukes which are visible to the naked eye.
As this may be bacterial, treatment in a quarantine with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 may help. Often this will subside on its own but you risk infection to eye

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's on one side - its may be trauma. In your case it would help to know how long you've had the fish, when it was collected, etc. It may have been due to pressure differences during collection. If it came on after adjustment to your tank, and you did not QT the fish per protocol - I would consider moving to a hospital tank and treating.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
M

miller75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a result of gas bubble disease especially in presence of many micro bubbles. At times also, with both eyes can If both eyes are affected, it can be Neobenedenia flukes which are visible to the naked eye.
As this may be bacterial, treatment in a quarantine with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 may help. Often this will subside on its own but you risk infection to eye
Gas bubble disease could be a high probability because last week my skimmer started producing loads of micro bubbles until I readjusted it

If it's on one side - its may be trauma. In your case it would help to know how long you've had the fish, when it was collected, etc. It may have been due to pressure differences during collection. If it came on after adjustment to your tank, and you did not QT the fish per protocol - I would consider moving to a hospital tank and treating.
Its been in the tank about 7 months, the only changes have been normal water changes and I have started dosing Tropic Marin A and K, I will get something set up to treat it

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas bubble disease could be a high probability because last week my skimmer started producing loads of micro bubbles until I readjusted it

Its been in the tank about 7 months, the only changes have been normal water changes and I have started dosing Tropic Marin A and K, I will get something set up to treat it
PS - There is very little evidence that micro-bubbles cause Popeye - and if so - it's quite low on the list. Instead, poor water conditions are far more likely - which leads to infection and fluid buildup. So my guess is it's not related to your skimmer - here is a nice article describing this: (Check item # 14) - now this is one person's opinion but interesting none-the less. https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

OP
OP
M

miller75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - There is very little evidence that micro-bubbles cause Popeye - and if so - it's quite low on the list. Instead, poor water conditions are far more likely - which leads to infection and fluid buildup. So my guess is it's not related to your skimmer - here is a nice article describing this: (Check item # 14) - now this is one person's opinion but interesting none-the less. https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php
Parameters are ok and have been stable for quite a while,

Untitled-1.jpg

I think I still have a nitrite test somewhere and will also do an ammonia just to be on the safe side

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are ok and have been stable for quite a while,

View attachment 3068921

I think I still have a nitrite test somewhere and will also do an ammonia just to be on the safe side
Thanks - it would be surprising for either of those to be an issue - but it will not hurt to test. Remember there are also water quality issues that we don't measure - dissolved organics, etc etc

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see clear gas bubbles under the sclera of both eyes in a fish, it is often caused by supersaturation. Traumatic injury is also possible, but more often, that involves just one eye....for both eyes to be involved, the injury must be very severe. On the other hand - supersaturation usually involves multiple fish, not just one like this.

Microbubbles do not cause supersaturation, they actually help reduce it. What *does* cause it most often is a air leak on the suction side of a pump - commonly a bad fitting or a sump that is allowed to drop too low and the pump "catches air".

Generally, in severe cases like this, there is no good outcome, sorry.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye health:

Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
M

miller75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see clear gas bubbles under the sclera of both eyes in a fish, it is often caused by supersaturation. Traumatic injury is also possible, but more often, that involves just one eye....for both eyes to be involved, the injury must be very severe. On the other hand - supersaturation usually involves multiple fish, not just one like this.

Microbubbles do not cause supersaturation, they actually help reduce it. What *does* cause it most often is a air leak on the suction side of a pump - commonly a bad fitting or a sump that is allowed to drop too low and the pump "catches air".

Jay
Thanks for the info, it is not eating and looking quite emaciated so I don't hold out much hope.

I don't have any air leaks on my pumps but every so often my return random flow generators pull air in and I get a quick blast of bubbles in the tank.

OP
OP
M

miller75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
All other fish are showing no signs, the only thing I haven't seen in a few days is my cleaner shrimp but its normally does this when its malted

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay - just curious - with only one fish affected - wouldn't that mitigate towards - a water issue - or something else? Just curious
IMO - I would lean towards a severe head shaking injury. The squampinnis anthias in my article got severe bilateral exopthalmus from shaking its head, IIRC
Jay

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back