Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking into pH trends from my Apex lately and noticed something that happens exactly the same everyday. I dose 14,000ml of Kalk from a Avast marine K-2 Kalk stirrer from 10pm until 11:59 am the next day. My light cycle runs from 10:00am to 10:00pm with that kalk dosing schedule my pH stays very very flat except for one time period, that time period is from 12 noon to 3:00pm coincidentally the exact same time I carbon dose with the Tropic Marin Bacto Balance. Once the dosing stops at 3:00pm the pH bounces back to its flat line status of around 8.25

Does anyone else experience a decline in pH while carbon dosing? I've been watching this exact trend repeat itself for the last month.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking into pH trends from my Apex lately and noticed something that happens exactly the same everyday. I dose 14,000ml of Kalk from a Avast marine K-2 Kalk stirrer from 10pm until 11:59 am the next day. My light cycle runs from 10:00am to 10:00pm with that kalk dosing schedule my pH stays very very flat except for one time period, that time period is from 12 noon to 3:00pm coincidentally the exact same time I carbon dose with the Tropic Marin Bacto Balance. Once the dosing stops at 3:00pm the pH bounces back to its flat line status of around 8.25

Does anyone else experience a decline in pH while carbon dosing? I've been watching this exact trend repeat itself for the last month.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Carbon dosing of any sort is expected to lower pH as the organics present are metabolized to CO2.

Some organics, such as acetic acid in vinegar, have the pH drop front loaded, but still ends up with the same total amount of pH lowering, although spreading it out can make it look like less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can always count on you Randy for making sense of chemistry for me. Chemistry is my weakest knowledge in this hobby, but with all you have helped me with over the past decade or two, I'm getting a better & better understanding of it.

Thanks as always @Randy Holmes-Farley

Nutramar Foods

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question for @SunnyX as he doses Kalk and uses TM Bacto Balance. This is why (per Randy's explanation) Sunny most likely doses Bacto Balance at the beginning of the light cycle? Maybe for ph reasons. I am curious though, why you would dose Bacto Balance in a 3 hour period instead of all at once? I only dose 1ml per day as I can't imagine dosing that little amount over a period of time. I'm just trying to figure this out as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question for @SunnyX as he doses Kalk and uses TM Bacto Balance. This is why (per Randy's explanation) Sunny most likely doses Bacto Balance at the beginning of the light cycle? Maybe for ph reasons. I am curious though, why you would dose Bacto Balance in a 3 hour period instead of all at once? I only dose 1ml per day as I can't imagine dosing that little amount over a period of time. I'm just trying to figure this out as well.

Reasons to spread out organic carbon dosing are the pH and O2 drops. Spreading those out reduces any possible issues from either one dropping too much at once.

When I was dosing vinegar manually once a day, I saturated it with calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser powder) to eliminate any immediate (or subsequent) pH drop.

later, I switched to dosing it spread over the light cycle by dosing pumps, and did not add the calcium hydroxide since spreading it out eliminated any substantial pH drop.

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasons to spread out organic carbon dosing are the pH and O2 drops. Spreading those out reduces any possible issues from either one dropping too much at once.

When I was dosing vinegar manually once a day, I saturated it with calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser powder) to eliminate any immediate (or subsequent) pH drop.

later, I switched to dosing it spread over the light cycle by dosing pumps, and did not add the calcium hydroxide since spreading it out eliminated any substantial pH drop.
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation Randy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back