Captive Bred Venustus Angel growth rate?

Nutramar

Northwest_Scapes_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering to everyone that's raised up a Bali Aquarich Venusta Angelfish so far, whats their growth speed / rate been like? How fast or slow do they seem to be growing?
My tank is only a 29G NPS so definitely not big enough long term and the largest tank I can currently have is 40-50g and I don't think that size would be good long term for an adult. I was hoping to grow one out as a baby and once it's puts on some size (ie couple months), bring it to the Aquarium and see if it'll fit in our NPS Display.

Someone mentioned to me that a friend's had only grown an inch or 2 in the few years they've had it and I wanted to hear if that's been the same for others

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering to everyone that's raised up a Bali Aquarich Venusta Angelfish so far, whats their growth speed / rate been like? How fast or slow do they seem to be growing?
My tank is only a 29G NPS so definitely not big enough long term and the largest tank I can currently have is 40-50g and I don't think that size would be good long term for an adult. I was hoping to grow one out as a baby and once it's puts on some size (ie couple months), bring it to the Aquarium and see if it'll fit in our NPS Display.

Someone mentioned to me that a friend's had only grown an inch or 2 in the few years they've had it and I wanted to hear if that's been the same for others
The Paracentropyge genus remains rather small in general remaining at 4-5”. You should be alright in a 40-50G tank but they grow rather slowly IME (I’m going off of the WC specimens that have come into captivity). Most other angels you’ll see growth every few months but this guy we rarely saw growth if ever and he was there for a few months.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine angels grow rather slowly, since they have a surprisingly long lifespan. Large angels live around 20 years or more, dwarves probably less than that, but still long for such a small fish.
Large angels can live up to 30-40 years whilst dwarfs generally live up to 10-15 years.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Paracentropyge genus remains rather small in general remaining at 4-5”. You should be alright in a 40-50G tank but they grow rather slowly IME (I’m going off of the WC specimens that have come into captivity). Most other angels you’ll see growth every few months but this guy we rarely saw growth if ever and he was there for a few months.
Oh really? Hmm I know I just started the 29 but if that's the case, maybe I see an upgrade in the near future.
Also that's good to hear. I haven't seen that many people on socials and forums at least have a BA Venustus, let alone any updates about them so maybe their slow growth rate is why. Thank you!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Hmm I know I just started the 29 but if that's the case, maybe I see an upgrade in the near future.
Also that's good to hear. I haven't seen that many people on socials and forums at least have a BA Venustus, let alone any updates about them so maybe their slow growth rate is why. Thank you!
That’s alright :)
Just be careful with certain coral and angels, these guys seem to love going for fleshy LPS like Scolymia and Trachyphyllia. They can also go for certain SPS but most of those guys are good and unlikely to be nipped.
Torches, Hammers, Frogspawn and other corals like that with the more obvious skeleton structure are generally alright with angels.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with certain coral and angels, these guys seem to love going for fleshy LPS like Scolymia and Trachyphyllia. They can also go for certain SPS but most of those guys are good and unlikely to be nipped.
Torches, Hammers, Frogspawn and other corals like that with the more obvious skeleton structure are generally alright with angels.
Oh yeah, none of the NPS I have right now (or plan to have) are that fleshy, so hopefully if I do get one, it won't go after anything. The tank is only approaching 3 months soon so I'll be waiting a bit to make sure there's Sponges and things it can pick at. I do see Pineapple Sponges starting to pop up which is a good sign.
I'll still probably see if it live in our NPS Tank when it gets older since I for sure can't take it with me to college unfortunately. But it'll have a nice home at the Aquarium if things work out!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back