Can't determine if My clown has brook or some other illness.

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all,
I've got a pair of black saddle back clowns, and one of them is behaving strangely. Showing signs of lethargy sleeping during the day, but rouses and swims about like normal when I walk up to the tank. Showing no signs of rubbing or mucus as far as I can tell so I am hesitant to call it Ich or Brook but alas I'm not an expert at these things. His appetite and behavior otherwise seems fairly normal for clowns, not really gasping or struggling to swim. But keeps returning to the same spot to lay down, could he be nesting or hosting to the spot. The other clown in the tank is acting normally and not displaying this behavior except for at night when they typically sleep together. I am preparing an emergency freshwater dip incase of brook and can have a 10 gal hospital/quarantine set up in less than 30 mins. But figured I should inquire for more experienced advice. Can take pics if necessary to I.D. some illness but from visual inspection they look completely healthy, to my eyes anyways.
P.S. they have been in the system for about a month or two and have only just displayed this, the only other fish in the system is a wheeler's goby introduced only a few days after the clowns. No recent fish additions have been made since.
I'm happy to provide any further necessary information, Thanks for any input or advice in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn’t breathing faster than the other clown and it is still eating well, I’d chalk this up to clownfish doing strange things. I have a Darwin clown that spends all day laying in a bed of zooanthids….
Jay

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Howdy all,
I've got a pair of black saddle back clowns, and one of them is behaving strangely. Showing signs of lethargy sleeping during the day, but rouses and swims about like normal when I walk up to the tank. Showing no signs of rubbing or mucus as far as I can tell so I am hesitant to call it Ich or Brook but alas I'm not an expert at these things. His appetite and behavior otherwise seems fairly normal for clowns, not really gasping or struggling to swim. But keeps returning to the same spot to lay down, could he be nesting or hosting to the spot. The other clown in the tank is acting normally and not displaying this behavior except for at night when they typically sleep together. I am preparing an emergency freshwater dip incase of brook and can have a 10 gal hospital/quarantine set up in less than 30 mins. But figured I should inquire for more experienced advice. Can take pics if necessary to I.D. some illness but from visual inspection they look completely healthy, to my eyes anyways.
P.S. they have been in the system for about a month or two and have only just displayed this, the only other fish in the system is a wheeler's goby introduced only a few days after the clowns. No recent fish additions have been made since.
I'm happy to provide any further necessary information, Thanks for any input or advice in advance, it is greatly appreciated.
Pics tell the whole story. Video also helpful

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more information.

- What are your water parameters?

- When was your last fish, invert, or coral addition?

- Can you post a short video for visual?

OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oics tell the whole story. Video also helpful

Will take video and upload now, Also I'll take a fresh batch of test as soon as I'm done with the video.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as additions go I already mentioned I haven't added any new fish the last thing I put in the tank was a tuxedo urchin but I didn't think inverts carried fish parasites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as additions go I already mentioned I haven't added any new fish the last thing I put in the tank was a tuxedo urchin but I didn't think inverts carried fish parasites.
Anything wet can carry parasites unfortunately, it is less likely but it inverts can bring in fish parasites.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be new aggression between the pair as they are nipping at each other far more than they had been. Could it be one clown is just pestering the other.

I see that also. Does it still happen if you step back from the tank or leave the room? There is something called displaced aggression that I see in some clownfish. They are SO territorial that your mere presence in the room actually causes them to become aggressive to their mate. Like a mom who lashes out at their kid with the husband argues with her.

Filming the tank on your phone after you leave the room can tell the true story. That said, the one clown has a notched dorsal fin, possibly from past aggression.

Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that also. Does it still happen if you step back from the tank or leave the room? There is something called displaced aggression that I see in some clownfish. They are SO territorial that your mere presence in the room actually causes them to become aggressive to their mate. Like a mom who lashes out at their kid with the husband argues with her.

Filming the tank on your phone after you leave the room can tell the true story. That said, the one clown has a notched dorsal fin, possibly from past aggression.

Jay
I'll try to get video but I suspect your right. If I sit in here and just watch them they behave seemingly normally but when I come near the tank, the larger clown seems to be more aggressive. Leading to the smaller clown almost cowering in that same spot.
May separation be necessary?
If so, I'll likely QT and treat the pair with copper/metroplex regardless and fallow the tank just to be sure. If anything else is advised let me know.
Thanks for the help Jay I appreciate it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get video but I suspect your right. If I sit in here and just watch them they behave seemingly normally but when I come near the tank, the larger clown seems to be more aggressive. Leading to the smaller clown almost cowering in that same spot.
May separation be necessary?
If so, I'll likely QT and treat the pair with copper/metroplex regardless and fallow the tank just to be sure. If anything else is advised let me know.
Thanks for the help Jay I appreciate it.

If you isolate them, you may never get them back together, but if they keep fighting, they can't stay together, so it is a conundrum!

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back