Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I am a healthcare worker, not a computer/networking expert so I might not have a clear understanding of all these details.

I have an Apex A2 which I have used for several years. After a recent tank crash, I am setting up a new tank in my office and moved the apex and all my modules and accessories to this tank. Since this is an office environment, I have no control of the network. Corporate IT will not allow me to connect to their ethernet (medical office, security concerns). There is an employee wifi which is on both 2.4 and 5 gHz but the name is not broadcast. I know the name (SSID) and password for that wifi and can connect my phone and laptop to it. When I try to connect the Apex in wifi setup mode it does not see this wifi signal. I tried network setup and manually typed in the SSID and password, updated the Apex and restarted but it still will not connect to this employee wifi. There is a guest wifi, also on 2.4 and 5 gHz. Apex can see this signal in wifi setup mode. The guest wifi has no password but has a "landing page" where you must use a browser to click on a button to accept terms of use. Apex also cannot connect to this.

I emailed Neptune Systems support. They confirm that Apex cannot use wifi in 5gHz band and cannot use networks with a "landing page".

My only other thoughts at this point are to add a mobile hotspot to my cell phone carrier account and leave it in the office for the Apex to get internet access. This seems expensive at $50/mo using my Verizon family plan with unlimited data.

I hope I am missing something that will allow me to use the office wifi. If not, hopefully someone has suggestions for a less expensive work around.

Top Shelf Aquatics

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do is to TRY to initialize the Apex from another location further away from the WiFi access points to force the 2.4GHz connection (2.4GHz frequency goes farther than 5GHz). Once completed, you can move it to your desired location and the device should remember the setup. Good luck!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

RJenks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do is to TRY to initialize the Apex from another location further away from the WiFi access points to force the 2.4GHz connection (2.4GHz frequency goes farther than 5GHz). Once completed, you can move it to your desired location and the device should remember the setup. Good luck!
I have tried this approach using the employee wifi SSID. I even set up my cell phone hotspot with the same name and PW and it connected OK. Once I moved the unit back to the office it did not work. Still could not find and connect to that office employee wifi signal. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
R

RJenks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not thought of this. I might pick up a similar device from a local store (Best Buy?) and give it a try. Wish me luck.

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was not clear — you don’t need another device. Basically try to connect to the employee WiFi from a closet or parking lot (lol, if you have power and people don’t call Security). The idea is to go out of 5GHz range. I had to do this for my Apex originally. My fix was rather simple: turn off some of the WiFi pucks

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

RJenks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was not clear — you don’t need another device. Basically try to connect to the employee WiFi from a closet or parking lot (lol, if you have power and people don’t call Security). The idea is to go out of 5GHz range. I had to do this for my Apex originally. My fix was rather simple: turn off some of the WiFi pucks
I think I replied to the wrong post before, sorry for the confusion.
So if I take the Apex and EB832 to the fringe of the wifi signal, then I should be in an area where only the 2.4gHz signal can reach and I might be able to get it to connect. Worth a try...

CoryZipperle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in healthcare IT, this is what I can tell you:

There are a few ways that you can cheat the system and probably get your APEX online using your organization's WiFi. That said, if you're caught, you could get into very serious trouble that could result in suspension, termination, fines, and maybe even jail time. Setting up rogue networks and whatever in a healthcare environment is not a good idea.

This is what I recommend:

Reach out to your IT team. Let them know what you want to connect maybe provide them the system's wireless MAC address. If you're super lucky, they'll bite and give your device access, allowing it to bypass the splash page. If you get declined, the rules for healthcare institutions are on their side. Next you could try a hotspot like a jetpack, but... keep in mind that this could also create mounds of problems for you if you're running it all the time. Even if your hotspot is connecting the device via WiFi to a cellular network, it's still broadcasting on frequencies used by your medical system's network and other devices. Your IT team can see this on their network, and if they're security conscious, they can track it down and you could still land in hot water. Usually they don't mind if they see people turning on their phone's hotspots for a few hours and then leaving. But if they see an unidentified hotspot that doesn't go away or move around the building, this becomes a security concern and resources could be sent to investigate. I'm not saying that this will happen, but it can.

No matter what you choose, clear it with IT first, and in writing.

OP
OP
R

RJenks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in healthcare IT, this is what I can tell you:

There are a few ways that you can cheat the system and probably get your APEX online using your organization's WiFi. That said, if you're caught, you could get into very serious trouble that could result in suspension, termination, fines, and maybe even jail time. Setting up rogue networks and whatever in a healthcare environment is not a good idea.

This is what I recommend:

Reach out to your IT team. Let them know what you want to connect maybe provide them the system's wireless MAC address. If you're super lucky, they'll bite and give your device access, allowing it to bypass the splash page. If you get declined, the rules for healthcare institutions are on their side. Next you could try a hotspot like a jetpack, but... keep in mind that this could also create mounds of problems for you if you're running it all the time. Even if your hotspot is connecting the device via WiFi to a cellular network, it's still broadcasting on frequencies used by your medical system's network and other devices. Your IT team can see this on their network, and if they're security conscious, they can track it down and you could still land in hot water. Usually they don't mind if they see people turning on their phone's hotspots for a few hours and then leaving. But if they see an unidentified hotspot that doesn't go away or move around the building, this becomes a security concern and resources could be sent to investigate. I'm not saying that this will happen, but it can.

No matter what you choose, clear it with IT first, and in writing.
All good advice. I have actually already started that ball rolling and they seem inclined to help me. I would really like to avoid the monthly charges I would incur with a hotspot.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

RJenks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still struggling with this issue. It looks like I may have to bite the bullet and purchase a mobile hotspot (not cheap) to get my Apex online. I made a final plea for technical assistance with Neptune Systems and this is the info that they sent me. It appear there simply is no way to connect to this office wifi since the SSID is not broadcast.

Hi Robert,

After speaking with our engineering department the Apex will NOT connect to private networks. It needs to connect to an SSID that is being broadcasted. Sorr for the confusion

Below are the A2/A3 Wi-Fi requirements to connect to a wireless network.

The Wi-Fi interface in the Apex A2 and Apex A3 models supports these wireless communications standards: 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n (2.4 GHz only); 5 GHz Wi-Fi protocols 802.11a and 802.11ac are not supported. Almost every wireless router offers 2.4GHz wireless service. If you have a dual-band router which supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, the 2.4 GHz band must be enabled.

The Apex A2 and Apex A3 models support only secure methods of Wi-Fi security, widely available in consumer-grade/residential wireless networking equipment. The standard designation for this is WPA2-Personal, but network equipment manufacturers often use other terms such as WPA2/AES, WPA2/AES CCMP, WPA/AES, WPA2-Passphrase, WPA2-Pre-Shared Key, WPA2-Password, or other similar variants in the management web pages of their equipment. Apexes will also work with Wi-Fi 6 routers and access points, if WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode is enabled. Your router or Wi-Fi access point must be configured for WPA2-Personal using AES encryption, or for WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode, for your Apex to connect. Every wireless router or access point made after 2005 should have this capability. If your router or access point is configured for TKIP encryption instead of AES, the Apex will not connect to it.

Two additional points:

An Apex also will not connect to an unsecured or “open” wireless network.

The wireless network name (SSID) must be broadcast; the Apex will not connect to Wi-Fi which has the SSID (network name) hidden or suppressed.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back