Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 7-8 years you would think I could figure out what is wrong. 10 months ago I had a bad case of diatoms, it killed most every thing in my tank before I got it under control. Now tank is clean. There are small frags that survived. Dunkin, Hammer , Mushrooms, GSP. They are closed up and will not open. Fish are doing fine. I played around with the lights, Increased, decreased them over the months, no help. Clean out sump, removed sand bed in sump. Removed most of sand bed in display tank and replenished with new. I'm completely lost. Help.
75 gal. tank
Cal. 408
KH 9
nitrate 5
phos. 2.0
amonia 0
PH 8.3
Mag. 1470

Top Shelf Aquatics

BrokenReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am far from what one would consider knowledgeable on this topic, so take this with whatever miniscule grain of sand you can - phosphates at 2.0ppm are extremely high and your alk at 9.0 dKH is high(er); BUT, that is my opinion on the matter and not a factual statement of what might be your ailment.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am far from what one would consider knowledgeable on this topic, so take this with whatever miniscule grain of sand you can - phosphates at 2.0ppm are extremely high and your alk at 9.0 dKH is high(er); BUT, that is my opinion on the matter and not a factual statement of what might be your ailment.
Yeah, 2.0 Phos is really high, or does it say .02?

AS

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it is more likely that those were Dinoflagellates, not Diatoms.
If so, toxins might still be lingering in your tank, hence corals don’t want to open. Any pics?

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After 7-8 years you would think I could figure out what is wrong. 10 months ago I had a bad case of diatoms, it killed most every thing in my tank before I got it under control. Now tank is clean. There are small frags that survived. Dunkin, Hammer , Mushrooms, GSP. They are closed up and will not open. Fish are doing fine. I played around with the lights, Increased, decreased them over the months, no help. Clean out sump, removed sand bed in sump. Removed most of sand bed in display tank and replenished with new. I'm completely lost. Help.
75 gal. tank
Cal. 408
KH 9
nitrate 5
phos. 2.0
amonia 0
PH 8.3
Mag. 1470
Phos is a trouble maker in your tank?

Reasons high:
Overfedding
Lack of skimming
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
False readings

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a water change, the OP never mentioned anything about that. I've just gotten back into the hobby after a 20-year leave of absence. I'm thinking there's some hidden toxins that have accumulated over the years.. maybe try a couple big water changes? That's what I would do personally. Ryan from BRS TV had a good video on how adding supplements over the years can end up being a hidden problem with some of the crap they put into additives that don't get removed, or nothing is there to consume what eventually builds up over time. I'm with @nothing_fancy on getting an IPC test done.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Royce White

Royce White

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a water change, the OP never mentioned anything about that. I've just gotten back into the hobby after a 20-year leave of absence. I'm thinking there's some hidden toxins that have accumulated over the years.. maybe try a couple big water changes? That's what I would do personally. Ryan from BRS TV had a good video on how adding supplements over the years can end up being a hidden problem with some of the crap they put into additives that don't get removed, or nothing is there to consume what eventually builds up over time. I'm with @nothing_fancy on getting an IPC test done.
Yes I change water weekly and lately sometime twice a week.

Top Shelf Aquatics

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wish that was discussed more. Im really interested in chemistry and trying new additives but some of the trace elements cocktails that are sold have a lot going on. Most maybe almost none of us have the ability to test for something like say "Boron" or "Manganese" or "Molybdenum" but some trace element bottles will suggest daily dosing. If you want to mess with stuff like this you have to send a test out a few times per year so they don't get out of control.

OP
OP
Royce White

Royce White

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it is more likely that those were Dinoflagellates, not Diatoms.
If so, toxins might still be lingering in your tank, hence corals don’t want to open. Any pics?
No I don't have pictures. I'm Not home right now but They look lik small frags before I was selling frags to LFS before this happened., Thanks

OP
OP
Royce White

Royce White

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wish that was discussed more. Im really interested in chemistry and trying new additives but some of the trace elements cocktails that are sold have a lot going on. Most maybe almost none of us have the ability to test for something like say "Boron" or "Manganese" or "Molybdenum" but some trace element bottles will suggest daily dosing. If you want to mess with stuff like this you have to send a test out a few times per year so they don't get out of control.
The only thing I have been dosing is cal.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can teach me something new as this is just an inquiry, why would you change your sand out, all your parameters seem in check.. normally things go south when you start screwing around with the substrate but that's what has me wondering myself why you're having this issue but yet your parameters are good

How many gallons of water are you changing out at a time?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I change water weekly and lately sometime twice a week.
twice per week water changes will have a big swing effect on your dKh (and more) especially if you're using a reef specific salt like Reef Crystals. You might discontinue that and stick to 10% weekly if you feel like you need to do that.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back