Canister for a nano?

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56l tank that is still in the process of cycling. I got 7-8kg of dry rock in there doing the job.
I wanted to use a HOB filter, but honestly I'm struggling with the noise, because the tanks in the bedroom.
I've tried 2 Seachem Tidal 35's, but both have had rattling vibrating noises. The pumps are fine when disconnected but as soon as they're connected to the housing, the noise starts.
I've sent 1 unit back and I'm about to send the other, I don't want try to mod the unit because if it doesn't work, I lose my money.

As an alternative I was thinking of trying a small canister filter, something like an Oase Filtersmart 60 or Fluval 107.
Is this a smart idea? I've been out of the marine business for along time and some people are complaining about them being nitrate traps.

I could really use some advice on what to do.

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Oase Biomaster Thermal on a 20g tank for 1 1/2 years. There is good info on YouTube on small mods to make it work even better. Requires some cleaning every couple of weeks but I some success with basic coral
1721566166341.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it, use it, but I would not buy it. For such a small tank, you can just point a powerhead at the water surface to oxygenate the water, and perform weekly water changes. I run several tanks like this.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it, use it, but I would not buy it. For such a small tank, you can just point a powerhead at the water surface to oxygenate the water, and perform weekly water changes. I run several tanks like this.
Agree with this 100%.
HOB filters are for freshwater, not reefs.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back